the role of transformer inductance in filtering an AC heater supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I find that if you use enough inductive reactance comparable to the hot resistance of the heater, to reduce the AC Voltage to 0.7 or less, the warm up time increases noticeably from the standard 11 seconds or so.
Are you talking about the return of the heater current profile from an initial peak turn-on level to the steady-state level after a few seconds (for typical heater AC powering), or the time it takes for the initial start of cathode conduction from zero, or the rise time constant of cathode current, or the circa 90-99% rise-time of cathode current (ie. when nominal idle operating conditions start), or ?

I'm asking, as your comment doesn't quite seem right to me.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
It's been a few years since I went through this so I'll try to recall. I used a twin bobbin choke with reactance slightly greater than the hot resistance to do two things. To filter noise, and to slow warmup time (to cathode emission). This ballast reduced the heater Voltage. Warmup was very slow and so I reverted to one half of the coil and found another way to balance the heater circuit. I then added a small amount of resistance to compensate the transformer Voltage.

When worrying about noise, lets be certain that we are hearing it. Otherwise, it is a non issue.

For music enjoyment, there is nothing noisier than being at a classical music concert with $50 tickets, and the person next to you keeps talking.

It's just that kind of intermittent noise that's hard to tune out!

I find it much worse when I cough at a classical concert.

In my area is one of the finest acoustic rooms, a college hall, in the world according to one well travelled classical percussionist. Only- the seats squeak very aggressively at the least provocation!

I'd like to understand when the slower heater warmup time is an advantage and how. Wouldn't you end up with HT applied to cold(er) heaters for longer?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.