Tube power supply for Aikido Preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello to all
I bought two mono PCBs for the Aikido preamplifier, since I wanted to do a tube pre-amp I decided to use a tube-driven power supply, I found this scheme from a user who uses it with AIKIDO, it could be a valid scheme ? Does it make sense to supply a tube or is it a solid-state power supply?.

Thanks Tiziano:freddo:

Attachments

• mypsu11.gif
    mypsu11.gif
    26 KB · Views: 1,056
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
The aikido is designed to try to correct errors in the supply. It is therefore likely yo be less sensitive to the supply. Still, it is always good to get the supply working well.
Does it make sense to supply a tube or is it a solid-state power supply?
I think it is best to make a supply to suit your needs, it doesn't matter whether you match the same type of devices.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Vacuum diodes have resistance that can damp transformer oscillations and produce good results. With this knowledge you can add resistance to solid state rectification and achieve the same good results with less effort.

Also, vacuum rectifiers delay the Voltage to the amp. This is not normally a problem, maybe you could read the thread on cathode stripping for other opinions.

I use solid state rectification.

Vacuum regulators can sometimes be a little noisy.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Maybe John Broskie has a simple supply to use with his Aikido?

Designing a supply is a long process that depends on the individual transformer, the amplifier's current draw, it's supply rejection ratio and other things.

Personally, I like a choke input type supply to go with the type of amps that I build.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
...Does it make sense ....... .....

It is a little like the attached images. Much bigger and more powerful than it needs to be. (Yes, the last one is a V8 lawnmower.)

I'm not saying it is wrong. You can find all sorts of over-powered machinery that "somebody" thought was worth building.

Attachments

• Cummins-Mini-Goodwood-4400hp_popup.jpg
    Cummins-Mini-Goodwood-4400hp_popup.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 640
  • volvo-pv544-with-a-tank-sourced-388-liter-v12-is-not-your-ordinary-engine-swap-121886_1.jpg
    volvo-pv544-with-a-tank-sourced-388-liter-v12-is-not-your-ordinary-engine-swap-121886_1.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 583
  • main-qimg-dee7507ce5b6937099e4888ad5811021.png
    main-qimg-dee7507ce5b6937099e4888ad5811021.png
    397.7 KB · Views: 571
the circuit is constant current and constant source...

I would aim for 2 things for the power supply, get close to the desired voltage for the choice of resistors and tube current need.

Get a good AC or DC heater supply, AC is simple , DC require big caps.

Since the power supply is 150 - 300V good inside wiring is very important to reduce noise.

Get filtering of the power supply to reduce ripple, multiple stages of caps, choke or capacitors + resistors can do the trick easy!

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
The Aikido was made to work well with any half decent supply. I would make it stiff enough to ensure the supply negating triode was not doing anything. This is probably why I chose to focus on other forms of amplification.

Wiring/grounding is important in any amp. Deal basically with noise from the supply and use appropriate values and you should be OK.

Tix88 , I have the Aikido with EZ81 , more noisy than SS rectifier.

Here is information: I had a 50mA choke installed, there is no difference using a resistor.

I had bypass caps on the power supply 2.2uf Aluminum paper in Oil and there is very little difference with or without.

The output caps I used Mundorf Silver oil, but then switched to generic film caps, almost no difference!!!

What made more difference is

1. to use tightly matched tube sections for only the input tube. Preferably a High quality NOS tube.

2. replace the resistor with a transistor , in the first stage, bias with LED first stage? can't remember well.

3. Adjust the resistor with potentiometers to reduce distortion to minimum.

4. Make sure you use quality 1M resistors for the power supply things, 4x I think.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.