Preamp PSU burned caps! Suggestions?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys,

It's been a long time since i've been reading the forum (YEARS!!!) and never posted, but I really need a specific help.

Last week my preamp (Audient ASP880) just started to behave very weird and I opened it to inspect... Just found that the TOP256YN was burned and together a few electrolytic caps (and maybe 2 resistors).

I've been in touch with Audient support since they don't have service available here in Brazil. So, I'm taking the adventure with my basic electronics knowledge... So far so good...

I have someone coming from the states that can bring parts to me, so I got to Mouser and after a lot of research I started choosing the parts to replace, paying attention to the caps size, dimensions, etc... all the specs...

Then I thought well, maybe I can do kind of an upgrade to it, since the PSU was built with very "not famous branded" components... And I know, it would be impossible for them to use 40U$ in caps for the PSU and keep the unit with the price it is (U$1400)...

So getting to the point:

1) I'd like to know if it's a good choice to replace all the electrolytics with Panasonic FM and FC series. If yes, than I'm done... It's everything added to the cart! haha

2) Suggestions about the resistors to change? Brand, rating... couldn't figure out the power rating... and for me it looks like 4.1K... very unusual, isn't it? (pics attached)

Thanks very much!!

Attachments

• IMG_20180712_050157793.jpg
    IMG_20180712_050157793.jpg
    593.1 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_20180711_131251847.jpg
    IMG_20180711_131251847.jpg
    826.1 KB · Views: 152
Looks like a standard self oscillating power supply.
Replace the TOP256YN and the capacitors that have bulged. 4k1 is not a standard value!
The capacitors need to be chosen for high temperature use, 105℃ or better with a similar voltage and capacity.
The resistors look OK to me but only replace them if they have failed. Otherwise you are wasting your time and money.

Thanks everybody!

It's actually not expensive, so I'll stick to the suggestion about swapping all the electrolytic caps... The panas are good priced and I actually trust them!

The resistors looks fine, but just in case i'm buying 2 spare ones, since is very hard to find anything trustable here...

Now Mouser is asking me to fill a form for the government I think... Just got an email from Mouser export department. Kindda weird, but it's maybe because I'm buying from Brazil (but to ship inside USA!!!)

They wrote:

"Additional information is required to process your order.
The item(s) on your order are controlled for export and re-export, and/or transfer (within the US) by the US Government. Please complete the attached form and return to our Export Compliance Team within 5 business days at export@mouser.com."

Thanks very much! I'll update as soon as the parts arrives...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.