30w Jean Hiraga Power Supply Design, one large capacitor or several?

Hi Vishalk,

I just scanned the thread a bit. If the guy you bought those chokes from said they will not meet critical inductance, he is right. The fomula's for this are:

50Hz
U/I*1.06= L minimum.

60Hz
U/I* 0,88= L minimum.

U is in Volts, I is in mA and L is Henries.

In your case U= 24 V, I = 1500. Thus 24/1500= 0,016. multiply this by the frequency of your ac house supply, 50 Hz in the UK I think. Hence 0,016*1.06= ,01969mH (L)

Concluding: the seller is right. Please stop buying parts without consulting us. Start with the clcrc. Thanks to the seller for his honesty and advice.

I'am going to be 'offline' for a while. People are dying like flies around me and some of them are very important directly or indirectly. I have been at home on sick leave for a couple of months now due to sleeping disorder and a resulting burn out. things keep piling up.

I will try to check in every now and then but it is best if you send me a pm if you want help. It might take a while but i will respond. A pm will show in my email and give me notice so i can act.

Regards
Joris

Joris i am sorry to hear that my friend, thank you again for your help even with the stress surrounding you.

I have also suffered from burn out and its not nice! Had to learn to relax, handle the stress around me (and know what triggered it).

Meditation, eating well, sleeping on time etc all helps.

Anyway i will PM you! Take care

pn7Q3Ms.jpg

Hi Vishalk,

Starting to look good. However have another look at the way I've drawn the ground connections in the schematic. Try to match that in your drawing. Plus, i don't see a connection to chassis ground on the end of the circuit.

You will have very large currents in the psu . This makes the layout extra important to prevent hum and unwanted interaction between those currents.

Joris

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
An IEC power input connector should have a ground connection with a short lead that you can run a bolt through with a shakeproof washer. This is for compliance and safety only.

The power transformer core is typically connected to the casing if you're using an EI core transformer, which you then bolt to the chassis. If it isn't, the casing itself will at least be grounded. A toroid comes with mounting hardware to achieve the same result.

If you have a separate ground connection coming from the transformer, it might be an electrostatic shield. This is often grounded but in some cases is attached somewhere else.

Hi Vishalk,

The yellow wire connects to an extra winding in the transformer which forms a shield between the primary and the secondary windings. It helps preventing noise and pollution from the mains ac power supply of your house entering the psu. it is not psu ground.

Connect it to the central star ground where ac ground, psu ground and chassis are joined.

Joris

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
The incoming wire is the power earth (or ground). Your amp earth can be the same, sometimes it is different. Earth is a relative term, unless you join different earths together. This confuses many at the start.

The chassis connection is needed for safety protection. The amp needs its own ground which I would choose to place relative to the amp. The signal input connectors are usually considered to be the most accurate representation of what the amp ground should be because it is at that point unchanged by the amp.

Then you can connect it back to the chassis if that is appropriate to your system, and I would normally recommend this (if you have to ask...).

Your transformer shield is probably worth grounding but it doesn't help anything else, it isn't enough on its own. (Some would say at least ground the transformer body if you must experiment).