30w Jean Hiraga Power Supply Design, one large capacitor or several?

Hi,

What caps do you plan on buying? please show us so we can verify they are the correct type. Remember, pure capacitance is not the only parameter. esr and such have an impact as well. Also, check the datasheets for size. try and make a mock up inside the chassis to see if all will fit. Use a roll of toilet paper according to the size of the cap in the datasheet.

Joris

Some things to consider:
- keep in mind the dissipation of the output transistors; with a ~ +/- 30 VDC supply, and the necessary current for 30 watt of pure class A output power, your output transistors will not live long no matter the capacity of the heatsinks. For this output power you would need to double the output transistors (~30W max per power transistor is about max for long term reliability).
- don't be too focused on absolute DC power supply voltages; the difference between a 20 or 30 watt amplifier is rather useless in terms of maximum loudness.
- power supply quality is of major importance in whatever amp, and especially in class A amps because of continuous current draw. Risk of a buzzing power supply is lurking around the corner in every class A amp.
My advice is to focus first on a good performing power supply; I think the common mode LCRC option might be best in the end.

For this output power you would need to double the output transistors (~30W max per power transistor is about max for long term reliability).

How do i double the output transistors? Buy bigger and better ones? or are you saying i need to have four output transistors?

- power supply quality is of major importance in whatever amp, and especially in class A amps because of continuous current draw. Risk of a buzzing power supply is lurking around the corner in every class A amp.
My advice is to focus first on a good performing power supply; I think the common mode LCRC option might be best in the end.

This is my plan, hence this thread, want to build the best power supply i can with the purchase of R core trannies, Lundhal chokes etc and Jazz help on designing a PSU. Going for the common mode LCRC option

Thanks Joris

I will stick to what i have and push onwards with the PSU :O) thank you so much for your help!

Pieter, i still need help with regards to the smaller capacitors, do i need 2.2uf and say polarised 100~220uf in the PSU?

Do you also agree with the resistor rating of 2r2 or should i buy others to try?