30w Jean Hiraga Power Supply Design, one large capacitor or several?

Hi,

been thinkin a bit more about this. Seems like this is your first diy class a power amp build?

If so please take a step back. Get a 300VA 2X18 secondary toroid, the psu pcb from diyaudio and some 22.000uF/35V caps (something like nichicon lgu). This would probably cost somewhere between 100 - 150 Euro's total. ohw and buy some cheap 25A brdige rectifier blocks.

Such a setup will do nicely getting everything running and sounding quite good (no not as good as with separatie supplies and such). This way you don't risk the nice parts you have bought. ie the trannies, chokes and rectifiers. I have build this amp that way and it sounds good. Learn and after that see how you can use the parts already bought. Plus you can use this psu afterwards to experiment with all those nice Pass designs like the aleph-j and such.

grtz

Joris

Hi,

been thinkin a bit more about this. Seems like this is your first diy class a power amp build?

If so please take a step back. Get a 300VA 2X18 secondary toroid, the psu pcb from diyaudio and some 22.000uF/35V caps (something like nichicon lgu). This would probably cost somewhere between 100 - 150 Euro's total. ohw and buy some cheap 25A brdige rectifier blocks.

Such a setup will do nicely getting everything running and sounding quite good (no not as good as with separatie supplies and such). This way you don't risk the nice parts you have bought. ie the trannies, chokes and rectifiers. I have build this amp that way and it sounds good. Learn and after that see how you can use the parts already bought. Plus you can use this psu afterwards to experiment with all those nice Pass designs like the aleph-j and such.

grtz

Joris

That would be sensible Joris, I built a Jean Hiraga Le Monstre in a kit form both the power supply and amplifier boards.

Yes this is my first major project and I want to see it through till the end,

Considering I have most of the parts I just want to build it, otherwise it will never get done.
I'm almost done just the bloody PSU design.

Hi,

Glad you tell about the monstre. What voltage are the psu rails? you could use this psu for initial testing with the le classe. Disconnect the monstre amp pcbs and attach the le classe pcbs. saves money and gives you the chance to listen to the le classe asap.

grtz
Joris

Hi,

Glad you tell about the monstre. What voltage are the psu rails? you could use this psu for initial testing with the le classe. Disconnect the monstre amp pcbs and attach the le classe pcbs. saves money and gives you the chance to listen to the le classe asap.

grtz
Joris

Not an option unfortunately as it's being used, gave it as a present to a family member! I really have to just build the PSU with what I have!

Hi,

Ok, nice gift. Based on this, primary instincht says to go with the lcrc option suggested by Pieter. The other option is attached. As good a compromise I can come up with given te components at hand.

Still have some reservations in both cases. Those chokes are going to be hot!!! a lot of heat to dissipate inside the chassis. This will have an influence on behaviour and longevity of other components. The caps will suffer most to temperature.

Still would like someone to chime in on the effect of using the Lundahs in common mode choke.

Have a look at the difference in drawing the ground/0V lines in the psu. Think of those as signal wires. Again not certain about the influence of common mode choke here. Anyway, connect all ground points at the end of the psu.

grtz

Joris

Attachments

• hiraga advice.pdf
    108.2 KB · Views: 360
Hi,

Ok, nice gift. Based on this, primary instincht says to go with the lcrc option suggested by Pieter. The other option is attached. As good a compromise I can come up with given te components at hand.

Still have some reservations in both cases. Those chokes are going to be hot!!! a lot of heat to dissipate inside the chassis. This will have an influence on behaviour and longevity of other components. The caps will suffer most to temperature.

Still would like someone to chime in on the effect of using the Lundahs in common mode choke.

Have a look at the difference in drawing the ground/0V lines in the psu. Think of those as signal wires. Again not certain about the influence of common mode choke here. Anyway, connect all ground points at the end of the psu.

grtz

Joris

looks good Joris, although i was hoping to use one choke per power supply? With your design i would need a total of 4 chokes :eek: i only have two!

And i want to use minimum 0.6F of capacitance per channel. Tall order i know, but i'm sure it must be possible.

Anyone else out there in diyaudio land got ideas?

choke in common mode.

Ok thats great but how does one do that? Can it also handle that? I thought putting the choke coils in parallel allows it to handle more amps? But clearly if i can just wire it up in common mode setup it would be much easier.

Still need help in designing the PSU for a mono setup using one coil per channel with around 0.6F - 0.8F.

Tried using PSU designer, but too many variables and not getting what i need from it, need to really spend time on it.

wh45dqr.jpg

This is similar to what i need to do right? Just replace one of the chokes with a resistor instead? Surely thats fine? If i need to buy more chokes could i use this?

High Grade 10mH 5A chassis mount smoothing choke

High Grade 10mH 5A chassis mount smoothing choke with M6 laminations Passlabs | eBay

although far cheaper to just buy a resistor and make it a LCRC

Using pin 10 and 19 for the positive psu line and pin 13 and 4 for the negative psu line allows you to use one choke per channel. No need to buy extra components. use either the schematic for LCRC or the one for clcrc i supplied.

I would advice you to choose smaller caps of better quality in stead of huge ones with lesser quality. Gives better results for the same money. Plus, you really don't need such a huge capacitance. Chances are they won't fit the chassis anyway.

Have a look at the psu Nelson Pass is using in his first watt products. Even with smaller caps you will already outperform that. If you really insist on using those huge capacitances hoose the lcrc configuration.

Joris

Thanks Jazz

I may be being stupid here but the diagrams you provided didn't show the choke in common mode? All your diagrams show both chokes being used for one power supply, and they seem to be in series with the circuit.

Where am I confused is how to use common mode in a dual bridge rectification especially with concerns with the ground.

Thanks

Vishal