...at what cost silence (i.e. reduced ripple)?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
...at what cost silence (i.e. reduced ripple)?

the HDPLEX 400W ATX Linear Power Supply (ATX) has a rated mV of 3 - 5,
HDPLEX-Fanless-400W-ATX-Linear-Power-Supply-with-Modular-ATX-Output

my seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 650 Watt MPSU (ATX) has a rated mV of 10 and below,
[H]ardOCP: Seasonic Flagship PRIME 750W Power Supply Review

the HD PLEX costs around £422 more than my Prime Ultra (smps); is the reduction of around 5mV worth the extra £422? ...would it even be noticeable in a blind audio/sound test?

...how great is the difference between 5 and 10 mV of ripple noise?

many thanks in advance for all opinions offered!

Hard to guess since you haven't provided any context. Where is this supply to be used, and what does it power specifically?

Likely if it is digital hardware it isn't a meaningful improvement.

Asus (based) HTPC:
Asus ROG strix z270g Intel lga 1151 + Asus ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1050 (2GB) + ASUS x24 DVDCD Re-Writer with M-DISC Support DRW-24D5M + Intel® Core™ i7-6700K 6700K - 4GHz Quad-Core 6th Gen. Socket 1151 Processor + Samsung 250GB 960 M.2 (2280) Evo PCIe 3.0 (x4) NVMe 3D V-NAND SSD MZ-V6E250BW + Patriot Viper 4 16GB Dual Ch. DDR4 3000MHz PC4-24000 DIMM PV416G300C6K + Seasonic Prime Ultra ‘80+’ Titanium 650 Watt MPSU + Lian Li PC-C50B Black Aluminium Micro ATX Media Centre HTPC Case. Silverstone SST-AR06 Argon PWM CPU Cooler 92mm Fan. Nanoxia Deep Silence 120mm PWM Ultra-Quiet PC Fans, 650-1500 RPM (x3).

This is dedicated to Hi-Fi music reproduction ONLY!
+ DAC/valve amp & speakers.
Hope this is the context you're looking for?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yes, that's exactly what I was looking for. I will assume the DAC is external and connected over USB2 or fire wire.

IMO the cheaper supply will be more than adequate in this application. The ripple levels such as they are in the digital realm are not significant as long as there is no low level analog audio circuitry powered by that supply.

The difference between 5mV and 10mV is 6dB..

Yes, that's exactly what I was looking for. I will assume the DAC is external and connected over USB2 or fire wire.

IMO the cheaper supply will be more than adequate in this application. The ripple levels such as they are in the digital realm are not significant as long as there is no low level analog audio circuitry powered by that supply.

The difference between 5mV and 10mV is 6dB..

thanks very much for your invaluable input!

the PC is entirely digital, no analogue.
The DAC is external and connected over pink faun i2s (HDMI format/ not cat5 ethernet format). Cheers again!

IMO the cheaper supply will be more than adequate in this application. The ripple levels such as they are in the digital realm are not significant as long as there is no low level analog audio circuitry powered by that supply. The difference between 5mV and 10mV is 6dB..

Well I'm not using the mobo's low level embedded/integrated audio circuitry, so that should be OK then? ~ shouldn't it? (LOL).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.