DAC power supply - too much capacitance? soft-start?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The Audiozen control board for my Soekris R2R dac has the option to add additional filter capacitors. Given the size allotted for capacitors I can add two 25v capacitors which range from 470uf to 11,000uf. So in other words up to 22,000uf.

At what point do I need to worry about capacitance being too much for a DAC? I'm concerned about pops, current spikes, etc.

Note: Disregard the soft-start in the title. I can't delete that with edit.

Last edited:
Well since this is DIY I have no problem with taking a sledgehammer to the problem. The cost difference in caps is equivalent to a McDonalds cheeseburger.

Not sure how to calculate necessary ripple. Would 22,000uf pose a problem in reliability, turn on surge, etc? If so what value max would you put?

I'll post the question in the venders forum but I trust the answer more here since this entire forum is dedicated to power supplies.

Don't lump all your capacitance together in one can. Distribute it into two or more units and provide some series resistance between the two. Ripple, most especially HF ripple will be attenuated better and in my experience the reduction of HF ripple correlates with improvements subjectively. Though reading again you say that the board is a control board - so is it purely digital? If so then I very much doubt you'll get improvements subjectively from adding more uF.

It's a control board but the extra filter capacitors go before the DAC power supply. I'll try to distribute it across more capacitors then. There is the option of two big capacitors or four smaller.

Attachments

• az1021sk1.jpg
    az1021sk1.jpg
    370.2 KB · Views: 248
Pegasus123 said:
Not sure how to calculate necessary ripple.
In that case you are not in a position to determine what cap value to use.

Would 22,000uf pose a problem in reliability, turn on surge, etc?
Possibly a surge problem. Possibly poor at filtering HF - so you get less ripple but more HF noise getting through.

If so what value max would you put?
As I said, I would calculate what value I need for sufficiently low ripple then double it.

Generally in engineering, over-engineering can be almost as bad as under-engineering but the damage done can be more subtle.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.