No trafo or batteries anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Voltwide what Im saying is if ppl can come up with such ideas to get things working, who knows what will come next. Come on we would have never thought that piercing a copper & zinc plate into bananas or apples would create a reaction that becomes a battery.
Or are you saying that you already know it all this time ?

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Voltwide what Im saying is if ppl can come up with such ideas to get things working, who knows what will come next. Come on we would have never thought that piercing a copper & zinc plate into bananas or apples would create a reaction that becomes a battery.

wrong argument. This kind of battery is well known for decades. And it is well known for decades that it cannot produce enough voltage to fire a LED. It's a shabby trick, you must not believe all youtube BS videos.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
....we would have never thought that piercing a copper & zinc plate into bananas or apples would create a reaction that becomes a battery.

I never knew that about a banana.

Coins, nails, and lemons, yes. That is very old.

Coins, nails, and lemons - Google Search

I have some doubt about the "75% in 2 seconds" cellphone, and the LED lighting-up on what is in effect a single (double-wide banana) cell. However the setup is easy to replicate and test.

sumotan said:
Come on we would have never thought that piercing a copper & zinc plate into bananas or apples would create a reaction that becomes a battery.
Well, I have known that for at least 50 years so I guess a few other people know it too.

This means that bananas are very useful for audio: you can use them as an interconnect and as a power source.

Pls tell me more about technical progress of apples, metals and electrolyze during the past decades:p

If you usually eat apples, any apples, and want to continue etating them, it's better for you not to know the technical progress in their growing, if it can be named progress.
Otherwise you'll end not eating them, or eating those bought in an organic shop, or from your own garden.

:D

The max theoretical electric potential between two electrodes can be derived from the table of standard electrode potential:
Standard electrode potential (data page - Wikipedia)
This would give some 1.26v.
However when an electrolyte is involved things get more complicated. E.g. one cell of a voltaic pile (published first by Alessandro Volta in 1799) built with Zn and Cu generates 0.76v on idle with almost any electrolyte in between, vinegar, orange juice, sulphuric acid, tear drops ... Voltaic pile - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.