The Simplistic Salas LV 1.0 Shunt regulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everybody!
I built the small power supply to power my DAC ProJect.
12 volts required.
Available: transformer with 13.2 volt secondary, ultra fast byv diodes, ect etc, in short everything needed.
Unfortunately, where I live the minimum voltage is 238 volts with oscillations up to 240 volts.
Then the transformer delivers over 15 volts with output, after bridge and electrolytic filter capacitors, which stands at 21.3 volts.
The first 3 green LEDs light up with a nice green, while the LED next to the 1K trimmer, lowering the voltage to see to get to the 12 volts required, gradually as the voltage drops, it is a beautiful yellow color .
The trimmer manages to bring the voltage to 13.2 volts and after a few minutes I believe it has burned as there is no difference between IN and OUT.
After having bored you with all the questions: what value should the trimmer have to be able to adjust the tension and not burn?
Is the led near the trimmer and normal that it is yellow if the voltage is lowered?
in my profound ignorance I tried to mount other 2 green LEDs (so a total of 5 LEDs) to see to lower the voltage but nothing is changed indeed, with 5 LEDs is skipped the 1K trimmer.
thanks in advance for any help.

Rob

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.