Help finding an SMPS that doesn't whine

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys, I just finished my bi-amped monitors and while the amps sound great, the two Meanwell 100W SMPS's have some unbearably bad coil whine. Like, hear it from 10 feet away bad. And so I'm on the hunt for a 100-200W SMPS that doesnt whine under low load situations. Can anyone recommend any that they've used with success?

Well designed switching supplies are absolutely Silent. The silence is achieved through electronic design. Have a look at the "Vicor" brand as an example. There are a Lot of parts in supplies that can create Audible noise from Electric and Magnetic fields.

Trying to block the Noise with Goop may be difficult aside from cooling issues.

Could it be the SMPS is skipping/bursting?
If too lightly loaded, a SMPS usually skips at a much lower frequency than the specified frequency.
You can test it real quick by loading the SMPS with a pwr resistor (or lamp). The load needs to be at least 20% of max. So if it's 100W SMPSs, you need to load them > 20W to see if the skipping goes away.

Tried the hot glue but to no avail, its still screaming at me. It seems that it is skipping/bursting as I'm using class D amps on a desktop so I never turn it up very loud. Regardless, there isn't really a fix for that as I mostly listen on low volume and I'm not interested in paralleling a power resistor inside my amplifier. Does anyone have experience with the SMPS modules from connexelectronic? If so how do they sound?

Well if you can't load your SMPS just a little, then make sure to use a much smaller SMPS, not 100-200W type. Even a 50W SMPS will skip if you don't give it enough load.
You may luck out and only need to load it 10% or even less, only way to find out is to try.
If a dumb resistor isn't good enough, you can make some active load which senses the current and as the amplifier draws more current, the load draws less.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.