Virtual ground supply help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok folks
You know all those little boxes for PA use like Promatch, Samson S Convert, Wireless mic receivers etc..
All of those usually use a 12V 500mA to 1A single wall-wart supply.
Assuming a virtual ground for powering a couple of op-amps, I'm left with -+6V for rail Voltage. +4dBu is 1.23V so I have some margin.
DJ consoles are usually powered from USB 5V. Perhaps they feature a step up converter somehow.
I don't have access to exotic chips like rail splitters and OPA series op-amps unless I import them.
I need a simple schematic for about 100 mA rail current. Assuming 4*25mA Op-amps, perferrably regulated.
Can anyone point me in the right direction ?
Thank You.

Hi MAACO,

I am surprised no members have responded here. Many took part in a discussion on virtual grounds sometime ago.
For the moment you will have to do with me.

To make a virtual ground with components at hand, I will suggest you:
either 2pcs LM358 (4 OP-AMPs) connected in buffer configuration, with 47Ohm in series with each output before a common (virtual ground) connection point with 1000uF-2200uF capacitors to each rail and the OP-AMPs biased at the inputs by a voltage divider of two 10K resistors,
OR,
A push-pull stage biased just below conduction, using BD139/140 and 2K2 base resistors to each rail and three 1N4148 diodes between the two base pins. Again two 1000uF-2200uF capacitors to each rail from the emitters connection point. You better use 10Ohm resistors in series with the collectors to limit the transistor currents during charging of the capacitors.

Is that sufficient and adequate for your use?

Last edited:
Some time ago I designed a dual polarity PSU based on industrial grade DC-DC converter with low noise LDO regs on each rail and HF filtering on DC-DC converter input and outputs. The result is shown here. The schematic and design process is documented earlier in that thread. The PSU is very "quiet" so DC-DC converter based PSUs can be made suitable for audio with a bit of care. Such power supplies solve several problems at once. They reduce weight and size as well as help avoiding dealing with mains circuits by simply using a ready made suitable power adapter. I use high current USB charger to power mine for example.

Regards,
Oleg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.