transformer and heatsink temperature

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
running 2 tda 2050 using transformer 16-0-16 v ac weighs 2.5 kg, cpu heatsink with fan---

after 40 min playing songs at 35 % volume-----

ambient temperature 34 celcius

temperature measured by digital thermometer placing probe on near to ic

transformer surface on core plates temperature---43 celcius

heatsink----38 celcius

----is this normal temperature ?

---what would be safe max temperature for both cases ?

----------thank you

The thing is, above 60 degrees the transformer or heatsink becomes unpleasant to touch. The winding temperature or chip temperature will be somewhat higher and it may affect lifetime.

Your problem is, without me knowing exactly where you live, that you are probably in a rather hot climate. I often have a room temperatures of 20-24 degrees Celsius. I know place where my friends go with temperatures that may approach 45 degrees Celsius. Then, the temperature margin is significantly smaller.

If you can avoid going higher, I would put the limit at 60-70 degrees Celsius.

180 degrees Fahrenheit (82 degrees Celsius) is too much. From what you write, I get the impression that the transformer core saturates. That may be because the primary winding is not correct for the net-voltage or because you have a DC element in your net-voltage.
If it is the latter, I will recommend you to read this thread:
Primaluna's AC Offset Killer
"Primaluna's AC offset killer". Are you near an industrial plant that uses a lot of power?

Last edited:
Yeah
I'm actually not comfortable running the system.
All the voltages check good, but they are HOT!
My infrared meter pointed at the windings reads 60c at idle.I tried disconnecting the secondaries and same results. My primaries are parallel 115vac. Even tried single primaries. You can actually feel them vibrating as well. Either and both. Never had this issue with even my 1500va plitron or the 750va.

May have to special order
Thoughts on the best manufacturers?
Thanks

Apparently I'm dealing with a shorted turn..
I've got the mounting bolts grounded in 2 places similar like this diagram..

transformer-shorted.gif

Confirmed
It was too hot to touch, now she's cool and quiet.
I wonder how many amps were cruising through the chassis �� then. Lol. Initially I had planned to mount to just one side, but a change of plans had me tap the faceplate as well. Now it's just the faceplate. New knowledge.
Thanks faux

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.