How does "LM317/ 337 Servo Rectified Filtered Power Supply" work?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Last edited:
I found this schematic from a PCB seller. It looks like the same circuit.
LM317-LM337_LF353ServoRectifier.jpg LM317-LM337_LF353ServoRectifier_picture.jpg

Last edited:
Keilau, I think the purpose of the opamp in the schematic you show for "servo, rectifier, filter power supply board" is to take the ripple and noise from the output of the power supply, invert it, and feed it back into the lm317/337, thereby cancelling the ripple and noise on the output. Hence the "servo" in the title. I think the circuit was originally designed by a poster on this forum, maybe apex audio, but I'm not sure.

Keilau, I think the purpose of the opamp in the schematic you show for "servo, rectifier, filter power supply board" is to take the ripple and noise from the output of the power supply, invert it, and feed it back into the lm317/337, thereby cancelling the ripple and noise on the output. Hence the "servo" in the title. I think the circuit was originally designed by a poster on this forum, maybe apex audio, but I'm not sure.
chalky, I agree with you that the servo in the PCB seller posted circuit is likely for noise and ripple reduction. In this circuit, the servo takes the input from the same side of the output rail. I hope that some user may take some measurement of the LM317/337 pair with and without the servo to see how effective it is.

The servo can be used for output rail balance tracking as samsara suggested using his schematic. But it is a different topology. In the samsara schematic, there is only one trimmer on the positive side for output rail voltage adjustment.

When I tried to build a +/-15V PSU many years ago using the LM78xx/79xx pair, I could not get a close enough match of the output rails. I ended up using a very expensive tracking voltage regulator, Raytheon RC4195TK.

chalky, I agree with you that the servo in the PCB seller posted circuit is likely for noise and ripple reduction. In this circuit, the servo takes the input from the same side of the output rail. I hope that some user may take some measurement of the LM317/337 pair with and without the servo to see how effective it is.

The servo can be used for output rail balance tracking as samsara suggested using his schematic. But it is a different topology. In the samsara schematic, there is only one trimmer on the positive side for output rail voltage adjustment.

When I tried to build a +/-15V PSU many years ago using the LM78xx/79xx pair, I could not get a close enough match of the output rails. I ended up using a very expensive tracking voltage regulator, Raytheon RC4195TK.

An interesting observation but is a UA741 fast enough for that?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.