Phasing R-core transformer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

I hope you can help a novice in phasing this R-core transformer :

Transformer R-CORE 30VA 2x15V - Audiophonics

https://www.audiophonics.fr/22243-thickbox_default/transformer-r-core-30va-2x15v.jpg

I use it as 1 x 230V (EU) and I am confused about that the red wire show phase in left picture and Neutral as blue wire.
Then in right lowest picture the red wire say 0V and blue 230V.
So this confuses me and then I figure blue wire is "phase" ?

I would like to know if red or blue wire is considered "absolute phase" ?

You are right in being cautious with the primaries of an R-core transformer. It has before been discussed on this forum in the thread:
R core primary/secondary

CBS240 made a very important posting that indicates the two windings to work correctly in counter-phase. Perhaps, CBS240 could give you a hint to how to phase your two primary windings correctly?
CBS240 referred to this article:
Shilchar Technologies Ltd.

When studying your second link it seems that the red and blue wires are 230V inputs and the white (gray in the schematics) and orange wires should be connected to one another but not to any voltage.

I would use blue as neutral. There may be a slight insulation advantage.

Last edited:
When studying your second link it seems that the red and blue wires are 230V inputs and the white (gray in the schematics) and orange wires should be connected to one another but not to any voltage.

I would use blue as neutral. There may be a slight insulation advantage.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I also have the white/gray and orange connected and then use the red as "live/phase" and blue as "neutral".
But do not understand why say "230" in front of blue wire and 0V in front of red wire in picture and if it is correct to use the red as "live".

I can also not see any physical markings on primare or secondary wires about which is phase.

Only if you have control of which wire is phase all the way to the transformer, you can follow this indication. Most amplifiers, at least in Europe, are sold without a plug having an earth pin. The standard plug can be turned 180 degrees and your connections are swapped.
Anyway, at least here in Europe the return is blue for domestic installations, and often the phase is red or brown. Therefore, we honor their color-coding by doing similar for the transformer.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.