Toroid

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I got a toroid made from a local vendor. It's a 450 VA toroid.

I am a bit worried as the toroid is not fully flat across the edges, it bulges out. All the toroids that i have seen have a near flat edge profile.

Here are the images:

Is there something to worry about ?

A really good toroid core would be wound from a strip that starts off narrow, gets widest at halfway, then gradually narrows again. That way the core would have a circular cross section instead of rectangular as is commonly the case. The circular cross section core would have less length of wire for the same cross section area as a rectangular one, so would have lower resistance. That is good. Maybe yours is like that?

Looks fine to me. The shape depends on the core geometry and the tightness of the winding. If core has rectangular cross section then one would expect flatter sides. On the other hand, if the winding is not placed evenly and tightly around the core it may result in a more round geometry transformer. Also it looks like the manufacturer had to lay out some of the lead-out wires along the toroid's edge to group them on one side which may also explain the more round look of the transformer. If it does not emit mechanical noises due to loose windings and does not heat up beyond reasonable under load then all should be fine.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.