Salas SSLV1.3 UltraBiB shunt regulator

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
You should check there is normal Vgs in all MOSFETs, normal Vbe in all BJTs, and circa 2mA indicating drops across all 270R resistors. Also if you put 20K VR1 it may take many anticlockwise turns to initially bring Vout below the rectified DC level when aiming at a low Vout setting.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Extended max Vout mods

I thought of the higher than standard max output voltage capability modifications for Greg :)

1. CRD diodes Semitec E-501 (100V 300mW 0.5mA current regulative diodes) instead of J1 J3. Soldered from drain pad to gate pad replacing those two PF5102. CRD's cathode goes to gate pad is the orientation. R4 & R8 may remain as they will be skipped out of circuit by that action anyway.

2. BC556C BC546C (and B) instead of BC560C BC550C for Q3s

3. 470R instead of 270R for R5 R6. 330R instead of 270R for R7

4. 50K VR1 330K VRR instead of 20K 75K respectively

The above modifications should allow for 5V to 65V adjustable Vout range. Or 5V to 50V if VRR is 100K. Watch the capacitors DCV spec regarding the new higher AC Tx secondaries and new higher Vout range, also remember that the M2 MOSFET will dissipate more as the output voltage goes higher.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
You got me worried and I just performed a desoldering test. Not the easiest board I agree, it took some time, but I managed. With an 80 Euro desoldering station gun (ZD-915) in bad enough back-filter and nozzle state. I also used the cheapest greyer leaded 0.5mm solder wire I had around. It wasn't flowing too well during the soldering phase under my 90W Oki/Metcal iron... Just tried to make the situation worst possible.

Attachments

• IMG_20180821_035834.jpg
    IMG_20180821_035834.jpg
    328.9 KB · Views: 688
  • IMG_20180821_035920.jpg
    IMG_20180821_035920.jpg
    480 KB · Views: 686
  • IMG_20180821_041627.jpg
    IMG_20180821_041627.jpg
    401.4 KB · Views: 683
i dont know. im not faulting the product. i know it is my problem but i have tired everything i could, i ruined one positive board. oredered all compoents, bought a newe soldering station weller WD1 and then ruined the second positive board and im not even gonna bother trying the remove the components again. the transitory just never come out. the caps are the only ones that i can remove. all resistors are very difficult too. im just so frustrated.

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Use a dim bulb tester next time you power up. Although you won't repeat such a big electrical mistake as having both rails MOSFETS non insulated on a common sink, you never know what can go wrong next. Leave it aside for a while, build a bulb tester. When the frustration will go away try again. Money on a good iron like a Weller WD1 is money well spent anyway.

P.S.
Pick each leg of a resistor with long nose pliers from the upper side and pull as you heat up the pad on the bottom side. Clear the holes in the end with a sucking tool.

Dadbeh, I didn't read the backstory, but Salas is using a desoldering station with vacuum and you are using a very nice soldering station. Desoldering with braid, etc. on thick PCBs with heavy ground planes is never easy and risks the board. A desoldering gun/station makes ALL the difference! My Haako desoldering gun is invaluable for the rare times I need it. I never really mastered desoldering braid + soldering iron - too many lifted pads. With the desoldering gun component removal is a 30 second, no stress affair with a 100% certain outcome.

BK

Dadbeh, I didn't read the backstory, but Salas is using a desoldering station with vacuum and you are using a very nice soldering station. Desoldering with braid, etc. on thick PCBs with heavy ground planes is never easy and risks the board. A desoldering gun/station makes ALL the difference! My Haako desoldering gun is invaluable for the rare times I need it. I never really mastered desoldering braid + soldering iron - too many lifted pads. With the desoldering gun component removal is a 30 second, no stress affair with a 100% certain outcome.

BK

thanks man. i looked it up it is 300 bucks. i can not afford it.