Salas SSLV1.3 UltraBiB shunt regulator

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Yes! However I use slightly modified version, which I showed in post #61. My V1.1 versions are with the same CCS, so I think the comparison is fair.

The V1.3 is definately a keeper over V1.1 so far. I tested it powering both sides of JLSounds XMOS USB to I2S transport in my DAC with AD1865. This means I tested V1.3 only for digital power and I expect even more improvement for analog power.

V1.3 has much better resolution to put it short. It brings improvement in the whole frequency spectrum. Soundstage is the same compared to V1.1, but V1.3 has more details without them being "in your face", which I consider an advantage in an audio system!

Beta testers here said the same i.e. it does not alter the sound it just brings out more but without nuisances.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Having a picture? Is it fed raw dc from another board or it has rectification/filter on board? See my comment in #140 about local decoupling in the CCS. But its fair you used the same ring of two that you had in your 1.1 type DIY. And your same parts types. Your 1.1 wasn't by the book either so the comparison was fairer between those two.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Its about how they will blend with the whole application including the loading gear of course. Those non polar ES have very low THD and subjectively are clean and sweet IMHO. And hey, you can't put them wrong on the board when soldering away in the small hours :) The FC is good for a 105C industrial but bit darker than life with some little fiz on top I think. Maybe the KZ is better sparkly than the ES but it depends where it blends, not to come across as drier instead, its Nichicon's officially top rated "audio" line nonetheless.

Salas, in my real-life version I did not use resistors* R10 and R11. Instead I used 2SK880 with currents 3mA and 7mA for Q7 and Q8 respectively.

PS: I updated my previous post with additional info.
_______
*) designations are according to my schematic in post #61!
Any chance to show your modified 1.1 board especially the places that you had to cut trace? I have enough 1.1 boards to play with and have scripted the 1.1 schematic to 1.3, too :D

Salas, what is the important criteria for M2? Just to see whether I can use from my stock parts to play with the circuit, don't have IRF530 in the parts bin.

Edit: added question to Salas.

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Salas, what is the important criteria for M2? Just to see whether I can use from my stock parts to play with the circuit, don't have IRF530 in the parts bin.

Edit: added question to Salas.

Ciss & gfs must be generally comparable to the 530 but the MOSFETs thing is slack enough, IRF630 could even be better or an IRF640 could also work. In any case the scope is your friend since you will be having another layout too.

Dear Arpagon, Selfy, Salas thanks for your answers.

OK, it's clear now. (I was blind not to realize :) )
I check the former posts, were also explained the LEDs role at low voltage:

I hope I deduct well;
1)
if I state that at fix 15V output the LEDs can be eliminated
(OK slightly ruins the the temp stability too, but effect seems lower.) Can I expect any other effect on voice?

2)
and also at this fixed voltage the Zener should be used (or even 1, or 2 LEDs in Q5 emitter (Q2 in orig).

I need some stability because my headphone amplifier a Lehmann clone where the power modul part is not in the negative fedback part (and no output C) so don't know how it would behave DC wise with changing Vcc.
Thanks again, Szabolcs

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Nothing should be changed. Its fine at 15V as it is. This not a theoretical regulator. It works very well in DACs and phones preamp in beta testing people's audio systems as we speak. If I will decide any small change in a value or a in part type for little better you will see it in the build guide when I will post it.