Salas SSLV1.3 UltraBiB shunt regulator

1. Absolutely essential are 1.7V at 200mA and 2.5V at 600mA. Lower than those and the constant current source starts losing mA from its normally programmed draw. In other words it softens its function after those points until it loses it when going further down. So for provision against mains fluctuation chances and for acceptable pF parasitic in M1 (speedier with more DCV across it) some basic 5V difference is recommended.

2. Its AC waveform produced and superimposed on the DC level. Several kHz or MHz. Can manifest as buzz noise and/or quality breakdown in the audio end of things. Best observed with an oscilloscope AC coupled in low mV vertical setting when probing the rail. This version is not particularly prone to misbehavior if you will follow its pdf guide document as attached in post#1

Hi Salas,

One more question, suppose I use it to regulate voltage from DC input, can I reduce the value or even eliminate C2?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
All electronics can be done SMD but this one will always have higher dissipation than series regs and a need for substantial sinking solution, which is the main bulk, no matter how much you will otherwise shrink it. Its published only for personal DIY use by the way.

Yes, but better use thicker cable not to add many mΩ
Salas thank you very much for the replies. What if the voltage drops substantially consider as much as 30% so will the regulator stops conducting the current like in the bib 1.1? I believe 1.3 then works like series regulator? will the load circuit still works as expected? Consider the preamp in load. I agree the fact that the regulation range is crossed but in general.
What happens to the impedance? will it becomes much higher? as much as in ohms?

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi Salas! Is it possible to make this reg regulated output 3.3v?
4.66v is the lowest i got when i turn the trimmer all the way down

Not as it is, circa 5V down limit is its stated spec, so yours works as intended. If you want to try the possibility of shorting one LED, replacing M2 with a Logic Level MOSFET like the MTP3055VL along with changing R9 to 2.2k, it may work well enough down to 3.1V limit or not but I did not originally intend it or check it in that way. There will be no negative mirror lower voltage version if made so.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Salas thank you very much for the replies. What if the voltage drops substantially consider as much as 30% so will the regulator stops conducting the current like in the bib 1.1? I believe 1.3 then works like series regulator? will the load circuit still works as expected? Consider the preamp in load. I agree the fact that the regulation range is crossed but in general.
What happens to the impedance? will it becomes much higher? as much as in ohms?

I don't understand the scenario. What may drop, its input or output voltage? Due to mains drop or due to output current overload? One sure thing is it will not convert to series in any way.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
No, don't change the cascode's transistor types. They may dangerously reduce the phase margin.

If its about the output current demand by the load will exceed the CC limit, it will drop the output voltage, the LEDS will extinguish, and the load will be protected from over-current if its due to a malfunction. If its due to unexpected peak demand not calculated for, the LEDS will only blink from time to time and there will be peak limiting. Its a sign that the CC limit must be revisited to set it higher.

Hi there,

I just finished building your SSLV 1.3 (for a BA-3 pre) but it somehow doesn't work properly. I ordered the kit from Tea-Bag and assembled one pos. and one neg. rail.

Resistors are Vishay 1% 0.6W 50ppm and C1 are Nichicon 6800uF 50V
R1 are 3Ohm (200mA)
I'm using a 2x30V 50VA toroidal and 24V as Vout.
My problem is that I get a Vpp of ~100mV (measured with my scope) on both rails no matter whether there's a load connected.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Luka

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
But DC wise it behaves setting normally? What is the Vpp frequency? 50Hz? If so it could be hum picked up by the probe's ground clip. Measure with a short ground probe tip right at the DC output terminal. Is it 100Hz? Then there must be something wrong inside that lets the rectification ripple pass. Is it a weird shape like distorted triangular in several kHz or in some MHz? Then its oscillation. Does C2 have the right value and ESR? Is there a picture of the whole system assembly?

8dDrt.jpg

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
So it was ringing or some component was pushed. There is 33VAC max mentioned in the instructions. Nice that J1 did not break. How did you lower it? With a power resistor and it damped out? Or you changed transformer?

For 24VDC a 24VAC input would be adequate and saves on M1 dissipation. There is the anti-ringing snubber components option on the board also, but it takes a Quasimodo device to tune it properly. When working within spec and set up right its capable of very good results on the scope indeed.

Congrats. Let us know how you liked it in combination with the BA-3.

Sounds reasonable. I guess J1 was at its absolute limit.
Yeah, I grabbed a transformer I had lying around which had only 25VAC and the noise was gone. But it only had one rail so I lowered the other's input with a variac and voila, both rails quiet.

Oh nice, cause I planning to buy a 25VAC tr. now.

I looked at the snubber/Quasimodo but decided to save that rabbithole up for the future.

I will (when my new toroidal arrives)