Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salas SSLV1.3 UltraBiB shunt regulator
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th May 2018, 11:53 PM   #111
selfy is offline selfy  Bulgaria
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
Like this:
Thank you, Salas!
Old 20th May 2018, 06:59 AM   #112
arpagon is offline arpagon  Bulgaria
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
I see its at the same place as yours. The CCS and the CFP output section are on a same line and between that line and the Vref etc. there's a probe.
Yes, you're right. It was too late and probably I haven't looked carefully at your schematic.
That's why I decided to correct my schematic as close to yours as possible, see picture 1.
However, no matter what I've tried I wasn't able to achieve your results - 11 MHz ULG and 80 deg. PM. My results are shown on the picture 2.
I'm not sure what's the reason for such big inconsistency in the results that's why I'm also attaching the Spice file I used for simulation - may be someone will check it and decide if I'm right or not.
Attached Images
File Type: png SSL_V1.3-schematic-2.png (103.1 KB, 461 views)
File Type: png SSL_V1.3-OLG-orig-2.png (58.4 KB, 442 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip SSL_V1.3.zip (1.9 KB, 26 views)
Old 20th May 2018, 12:20 PM   #113
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Of course, thus rightly I couldn't see any difference in our probes placement. But no worries. Its the different drawing styles overall looks that perplexed you, but when looking again and thinking in nodes its clear. I don't have much time these days to go thoroughly through your analysis, but I will have a look at a point because its interesting to find causes. Maybe different semiconductor models (that you don't include). Anyways if I will manage to achieve analysis results approaching yours I will let you know the details. Others are welcome. In any case this line of regs goes several years back and the practical results are widely field tested. The new one is beta tested before introduced also.
Old 20th May 2018, 01:05 PM   #114
diyAudio Chief Moderator

By the way a general note. Guys, preferably don't put large electrolytics on an application's regulated rail if you can help it because they dominate any reg's output by imposing their own characteristics. Faster C0G etc. decoupling is more effective and elegant. Tantalums are also nice but they tend to short when they fail in the long run.

Here it is with 100Ω load and a 2200uF/25V BC cap hanging parallel on test leads. The reg not minding the silly situation at all merrily showing a flat line with the scope set at AC input 5mV/100uSec but to paraphrase a known sigline around here "Just because it can, doesn't mean you should"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180520_153015.jpg (448.1 KB, 416 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180520_153415.jpg (459.4 KB, 397 views)
Old 20th May 2018, 02:09 PM   #115
arpagon is offline arpagon  Bulgaria
diyAudio Member

Yes, the models are peculiar thing. I think I used the standard models which came with LTSpice but nevertheless, I'm attaching them here.
What about capacitors at the output of the regulator, I think we should create schematics which "feel better" when we attach a bigger capacitors at their outputs .
And ... the bigger, the better.
Attached Files
File Type: txt models.txt (1.2 KB, 22 views)
Old 20th May 2018, 02:31 PM   #116
diyAudio Chief Moderator

I don't like big capacitors after very low wide flat Zo regs especially because its a shame they hijack the situation to their own spec. Sounding always heavy IMO. In the previous versions we had RC film cap Zobel termination option even just to avoid big chemical caps if we could. In this one such a minimal option can't be had but when we can keep the regulated rail as simple and light as possible in any config I am a fan of such an approach. The reg alone should be able to give the energy needed fast and even to absorb kicks in case its a shunt type. Each one to their own persuasion of course.
Old 20th May 2018, 03:08 PM   #117
jackinnj is offline jackinnj  United States
diyAudio Member

When Bode plots get you down, use "Z-Out" and look for "Q"

https://www.picotest.com/articles/Ag...e%20Margin.pdf

Generally, use the lightest load possible.
Old 23rd May 2018, 07:43 AM   #118
nounouchet is offline nounouchet  France
diyAudio Member

Hi Salas,

Would it be interesting to use a SMPS (for example laptop psu) rather than a transformer + rectifier + filter capacitor for this shunt regulator ?
I see several advantages:
- the cost
- the size
- the ease of deporting the PSU outside the case
- the ability to easily change input voltage for multiple applications

Will the results be as good ?

nounouchet
Old 23rd May 2018, 12:48 PM   #119
diyAudio Chief Moderator

The results can be good and its a handy solution but some filtering after the SMPS may prove helpful.
Especially without the Rf+C1 RC filter the SMPS noise maybe it can propagate stronger past the M1 CCS barrier.
Such high frequency complex noises can couple easily enough on the layout and parts inductance anyway.
Depends on what SMPS. How noisy, what kHz its main ripple frequency.
In any case if you got a scope you may check if a specific one propagates any of its noise at the shunt's output or not, to see if you need take extra measures.
Old 23rd May 2018, 03:59 PM   #120
diyAudio Chief Moderator

P.S.

Have at least 100uF/50V in C1 position with any type of external DC feed. For local decoupling. Don't leave that position completely empty. Else the incoming DC leads inductance will very probably put M1 into oscillation.

Salas SSLV1.3 UltraBiB shunt regulatorHide this!Advertise here!