Integra M505 Power Supply Cap Replacement

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I was gifted an very early production run Onkyo M-505 DC dual mono power amplifier. The nameplate says "Model 505" with no reference to Integra branding putting it in the first production run for US export. You can tell too, factory bodge wires and all.

Anyhow, I've already rebuilt the input and protection circuits and have the parts to get started on a recap of the channel boards (all the caps are gone) this afternoon. This thing was covered in rat poop and cat pee so I'm checking every last component, replacing all caps with higher quality modern panasonic FM/FC electrolytics and kement MKP for film types, and replacing out of spec components as needed.

Today I removed the PS filter caps pics of which are attached to this post. The M-505 uses plain screw terminal caps unlike later models with crazy copper bus plates and puddles of solder.

Would the DIY community be willing to help me source some suitable replacement caps? Fortunately Onkyo was kind enough to print most of the specs on the outside.

I am having trouble finding a replacement at less than $50-60 (kemet) and welcome suggestions as that is out of my price range with a baby in the works any day.

How critical is it to match the ESR? Is 20mOhms vs. 10mOhms really going to make a difference? I can find ones that seem to be suitable but with 2x the ESR@100hz - this Onkyo cap doesnt specifically say what freq was used to calculate ESR.

Thanks!

20180505_072442.jpeg 20180505_072452.jpeg 20180505_072537.jpeg 20180505_072652.jpeg 20180505_072720.jpeg 20180505_060538.jpeg

Last edited:
U32D

Physically yes it comes close enough to adapt the original cap clamps. However I couldn't find any info about the technical specs of the cap.

10mOhms ESR seems to be the hard to match spec.

http://www.newark.com/kemet/als70a203kf100/cap-alu-elec-20000uf-100v-screw/dp/14AC3298

LNR2A223MSE Nichicon | Mouser

Are two other options. The Kemet is 22mOhms and under $24/cap. The ones you mentioned are $17/cap but I can't find published ESR figures.

Would bypassing each filter cap with a parallel metal film cap of approximately 1% (2uf) to 10% (20uf) allow me to get away with a higher ESR cap, or does it really matter? There is a lot of wire between the hot lead and the actual signal.

UCC U32D 80V 18,000uf is around $17 each at Digikey, the Kemet I linked is next least costly at $24/each. To get ones with an ESR similar to the originals starts at around $42/each and I would have to go for a much higher capacity of 22000uf or higher to get an ESR that low.

Could I get away with the Kemets (much better specs than UCC part) with a film bypass cap to reduce percieved ESR? There are more expensive Kemets that match ESR but are WAY higher in capacity (2x roughly).

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.