Are SMPS ok for powering class AB integrated amp chips?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It is not that class AB chips are designed in a particular way to be able to operate from an SMPS. It is a matter of designing the SMPS such that the output voltages (symmetrical) are as good (or better) as from a traditional power supply. And, a matter of shielding the radiated noise from the SMPS.

Clearly, you cannot just pick up any SMPS and assume it will work well. Also because few SMPS are designed with symmetrical outputs. The SMPS needs appropriate filtering (above the audio band), sufficient output buffer capacitance for decoupling of the amplifier (in the audio band) and a rather quick step response.
Most SMPS are designed for very different purposes.

Honestly, I am not aware of an amplifier that uses one of the "old" chips with an SMPS. Logically seen, if you design with an SMPS (for low weight, reduced size and less heating) why would you then choose an "old" class AB chip that requires a heatsink?

I have myself used a bridged class AB chip (TDA7850) with an SMPS and that worked fine.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.