New power supply burn/run-in question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you believe a new power supply generally needs to be run-in for a few days for it to sound its best, is there an alternate method to run it in instead of connecting it directly to stereo components.
What about using 12v car headlamp bulbs or heavy duty resistors connected to the PS for a few days?
Would this be a good method to run it in or does the PS ideally require a varying load to run-in properly?

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Smoke-testing a power supply with resistors is worthwhile, before you connect precious amplifiers.

I would think that if a PS needed to be "run in for best sound', the amplifier has a problem with supply sensitivity. But opinions will differ.

Yes, sorry should have provided more info. It's a new Paul Hynes SR7 not a purpose built PS for an amp.
In hind-site, maybe I've put this in the wrong forum but any replies to my question would be appreciated!

marcus1, is this a commercial power supply that may have gone through factory testing of some kind, or diy?

What test equipment do you have?

What specification datasheet for the power supply do you have?

What bogey part operating temperature levels do you have data for?

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I would think that if a PS needed to be "run in for best sound', the amplifier has a problem with supply sensitivity. But opinions will differ.

I would make it more explicit. If a power supply significantly changes any of its characteristics over days, it is an incompetent design.

If an amp changes its sound over days due to 'power supply burn in' the amp is an incompetent design.

YMMV

Jan

Yes, I get what your'e saying.
All I can tell you is that I've read a number of reviews written by owners of the SR7 and they mostly report that SQ (sound stage etc) improves after a number of hours/days on the PS.
Just peoples perceptions, no scientific data to back it up:)

marcus1 - so haven't been able to find a datasheet, and you have no test equipment, and you don't know what is in the power supply and how it operates and what to expect when it does operate ?

Well hopefully you have a much better amplifier than the others that have reviewed the power supply, and can hear no difference!

From a technical perspective, the more time you run the power supply heavily loaded with a dummy load, then the more you statistically move through some ill-defined infant mortality region. Me thinks that's the only plausible technical answer. That may save your amplifier.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
I occasionally sell power supplies here on diyAudio, and I find my KL283 "Electronic Load" to be an indispensable tool for debugging and characterization. It's cheap Chinese dregs from eBay but it works okay for me. However I don't think I would leave the room when it was connected up to a supply and drawing 4 amperes from each of +28V and -28V; wanna be able to pull the plug immediately if something goes terribly wrong.

eBay link . It's offered by many different sellers, all at slightly different prices. Be SURE to buy one whose mains input matches your lab. 115VAC? 230VAC? It matters.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
The answer to the question "what's inside an Electronic Load that makes it cost $170?" is
  • Lots of heatsinks
  • Lots of fans
  • Several high power transistors
  • Two digital voltmeters (1%)
  • Two digital ammeters (1%)
  • A small amount of circuitry & precision resistors
And the answer to the question "Why does it plug into the mains AT ALL? Why not just run everything from the DC power supply under test?" is
  • the supply under test might be 1.0V and 10A
  • the DC fans inside the electronic load run on 12V

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.