Small psu for MCU

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm hoping to power a small arduino off the 20V linear supply in my preamp.
I'd like to supply the Arduino with regulated 5V, bypassing its internal regulator.

Initially, I planned to put another LM317 in parallel with the preamp supply, but I'm concerned that the voltage drop from roughly 22V to 5V will create an awful lot of heat, and just doesn't seem a sensible thing to do. Naturally the Arduino won't consume a lot of current, but it will need to drive a motorised volume control, so not totally negligible.

Is there a common way of doing this?
These days most consumer amps have micro controllers in. How do they create the low voltage supply off the high voltage transformenrs?

Many thanks!

Good point Wealas, although the preamp is built in a small case not cut out for dealing with heat of the combined linear regs, even if they don't need sinking individually.

Hi Samsara, neat module! And available quite cheaply from RS as well. Are you recommending this based on performance benefit over for example the LM2596 mentioned above, or is it just because of the fixed output and convenient pin headers, and because it is quite a common part.
Many thanks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.