Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Blown caps EBS Classic Session 60 bass combo
Blown caps EBS Classic Session 60 bass combo
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th February 2018, 08:38 PM   #1
cowbellster is offline cowbellster  Finland
diyAudio Member

Default Blown caps EBS Classic Session 60 bass combo

Click the image to open in full size.

The filter caps look like this.

Should I just change them and try my luck? Or is there something else I should consider? Is this just a classic case of capacitor plague? Maybe these caps were insufficient in the first place?

E: The blown caps are branded HONSING.

Last edited by cowbellster; 5th February 2018 at 04:54 PM.
Old 4th February 2018, 09:24 PM   #2
MAAC0 is offline MAAC0  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Nice bombs.
Replace them but check if the rectifier bridge is OK. I mean there should be two DC voltages after the bridge.

22.5*1.4=31V - I think that's why they exploded.
Use 50 V or more capacitors /105 degrees rated.

If it powers OK check for DC on speaker outputs before attaching the speakers.
Old 4th February 2018, 09:36 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the advice! I'll check the bridge and the speaker outputs.

There's limited space on the circuit board for the two caps.

Two of these Panasonic 4700uF/35V from the local supplier would fit without too much hassle. They are the same value as the original but a more reputable brand.

Anyway, there's plenty of space inside the chassis. Maybe I could arrange some bigger caps in there somehow. That way I could have many years of carefree bass practicing.
Old 5th February 2018, 10:11 AM   #4
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
R.I.P.

I have some quite old solid state gear and I have never seen a capacitor blow out like that.
The worst I have experienced was on a ~30years radio tuner that became hummy/buzzy.
The smoothing cap was dying and needed replacement. It was/is located next to a very hot 3pin regulator.
Old 5th February 2018, 11:36 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Now that I’ve googled around a bit I’ve found pics of as badly blown caps of this same chinese brand. The other cases were Orange Terror bass amps.

On this amp the more intensely blown cap is closer to the heatsink. The caps are also very close to each other.
Old 5th February 2018, 12:35 PM   #6
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Maybe the 35V rating was Chinese volts? A genuine 35V cap should cope with 31V. Maybe the ripple current rating was in Chinese amps too?

Putting a PSU electrolytic right next to a heatsink is a bad idea. It will get hot, dry out and increase ESR. That will raise ripple current loss and cause more heating. Bang!
Old 5th February 2018, 08:42 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Ok, so the amp is working now! Sounds mighty fine. Thanks for the help! I put some Nichicon 4700uF / 50V caps in there well away from the heat sink.

Blown caps EBS Classic Session 60 bass comboHide this!Advertise here!