Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How to disable fan noisy Meanwell MP650
How to disable fan noisy Meanwell MP650
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th January 2018, 07:30 AM   #1
taita is offline taita  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default How to disable fan noisy Meanwell MP650

I own a Meanwell MP650 2J2J8 SMPS power supply. Unfortunately is has a fan build in that is very noisy. The fan is secured: when I disconnect it the power supply doesn't work. I think with normal small (music) loads the power supply doesn't need the fan to keep it cool. I extended the wires of the fan and build it in a small case that keeps the noise inside, but this is not a final solution. Any ideas how to disable the fan and keep the power supply working?
Old 13th January 2018, 08:04 AM   #2
Nico Ras is offline Nico Ras  South Africa
diyAudio Member

The obvious question I have is why did you get such a powerful supply. Do you actually listen the music at 650 watt. I have a fair sized lounge which is 11 x 15 x 3 meters and I use a JLH 10 watt per channel class A amp at a moderate setting and enjoy quite pleasant music levels.

The power supply you bought is for 650 watt continuous and a safety fan is built in it for this purpose. If the fan stops working the power supply will stop and is a safety design feature If you are not using 650 watt then you should have bought a 50 watt power supply instead which have no fan.

Sometimes buying something for bragging rights defeats the object totally. That said if you listened to music at 650 watt then you would not hear the fan.
Design the equipment for the purpose and you will not run into such silly problems.

Last edited by Nico Ras; 13th January 2018 at 08:06 AM.
Old 13th January 2018, 09:53 AM   #3
nigelwright7557 is offline nigelwright7557  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I run an amp for dual purposes.
1/ As a disco amplifier for use in pubs and clubs.
2/ As a home amp to listen to low level music.
Old 13th January 2018, 10:25 AM   #4
Nico Ras is offline Nico Ras  South Africa
diyAudio Member

I am 35 years beyond my disco going age - let alone running a noise generator for gyrating kids.
Maybe I would go to a high end strip club now and then, but even then you pay more attention to the lap dance that the crappy overbearing music.
Old 13th January 2018, 10:45 AM   #5
Samsara is offline Samsara  France
diyAudio Member

Hello.
Quote:
Originally Posted by taita View Post
I own a Meanwell MP650 2J2J8 SMPS power supply. Unfortunately is has a fan build in that is very noisy. The fan is secured: when I disconnect it the power supply doesn't work. I think with normal small (music) loads the power supply doesn't need the fan to keep it cool. I extended the wires of the fan and build it in a small case that keeps the noise inside, but this is not a final solution. Any ideas how to disable the fan and keep the power supply working?
What is the voltage of FAN ?
Can you provide a very good photo of PCB (recto verso)?
Take informations write on any IC.
Old 13th January 2018, 10:46 AM   #6
nigelwright7557 is offline nigelwright7557  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico Ras View Post
I am 35 years beyond my disco going age - let alone running a noise generator for gyrating kids.
Maybe I would go to a high end strip club now and then, but even then you pay more attention to the lap dance that the crappy overbearing music.
That's shows a distinct misunderstanding of discos.
I often play to older crowds in pubs.
I am more retro than modern.
Old 13th January 2018, 11:41 AM   #7
taita is offline taita  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsara View Post
Hello.

What is the voltage of FAN ?
Can you provide a very good photo of PCB (recto verso)?
Take informations write on any IC.
Do you think you have a workaround for this if I give you the information? What exactly do you mean with PCB, the fan?

I buyed this power supply together with three second hand Hypex UCD 400 OEM. Two of them played well with this power supply, until I I decided to buy a hypex SMPS. But now I do some experiments with other class D amplifiers and I could use the Meanwell very well.
Old 13th January 2018, 12:30 PM   #8
Samsara is offline Samsara  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taita View Post
What exactly do you mean with PCB, the fan?
Not the FAN,this is photo of PCB

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 13th January 2018, 12:42 PM   #9
theAnonymous1 is offline theAnonymous1  United States
diyAudio Member

I imagine the fix is a simple as loading the fan header with an appropriate resistor.
Old 13th January 2018, 12:50 PM   #10
johnnyx is offline johnnyx  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

If the psu will not work without the fan, then the psu has a sense wire in addition to the fan power. Are there three wires to the fan?

Some fans have a pulse output that give an indication of rotor speed. Computer BIOS can display fan speed in some utility that some PCs have.

Usually, for industrial fans, a "stuck rotor" signal is all that is required. If the fan is seized, then a signal line is pulled high, so the monitoring circuit knows that there is a problem.

If the signal line is connected to the -ve fan connection, then it mimics the open-collector "fan ok" signal from the fan. It should run ok, but the protection is now disabled.

How to disable fan noisy Meanwell MP650Hide this!Advertise here!