Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reduce SMPS ripple noise for PreAmp?
Reduce SMPS ripple noise for PreAmp?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th January 2018, 02:06 PM   #1
forestsgump is offline forestsgump
diyAudio Member

Default Reduce SMPS ripple noise for PreAmp?

I am using a Meanwell SMPS (reads 200mv ripple noise) to power a NE5532 PreAmp to a Class D Amplifier.

Would the ripple noise a SQ concern the PreAmp?
Is there anyway, I can reduce this SMPS ripple noise?

Last edited by forestsgump; 8th January 2018 at 01:20 PM.
Old 7th January 2018, 02:53 PM   #2
abraxalito is offline abraxalito  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito
You'll want to put at the very least an LC filter between the supply and your opamp(s).

Try an SLF7045T-471 (470uH) SLF7045T-471MR22-PF TDK | Mouser

in series with the supply rail with a Nichicon HZ UHZ1C102MPM6 Nichicon | Mouser
shunting to 0V on the opamp side of the inductor. Assuming that you're not using more than 16V.

In simulation this combination gives about 80dB attenuation at 40kHz.

Last edited by abraxalito; 7th January 2018 at 02:56 PM.
Old 7th January 2018, 03:01 PM   #3
Aatto is offline Aatto  United States
diyAudio Member

smps+crclc+cap multiplier.
tried that setup for headamps and pre.
Old 8th January 2018, 10:47 AM   #4
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
R.I.P.

opamps and many discrete amplifiers can have very good PSRR at lower frequencies.
All have poor PSRR at higher frequencies.
The output of a switching supply is riddled with higher frequency interference.
You need something to attenuate the higher frequency interference. A 3pin IC regulator will not do !
Old 8th January 2018, 01:18 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
opamps and many discrete amplifiers can have very good PSRR at lower frequencies.
All have poor PSRR at higher frequencies.
The output of a switching supply is riddled with higher frequency interference.
You need something to attenuate the higher frequency interference. A 3pin IC regulator will not do !
Thank you for all the inputs, some direction to focus ~ so zero-in action on the right area.

Search in diyaudio, some point out SMPS are usually well-considered design in disturbance reduction; while situation can become more complex when cross influence when supplying multiple devices.

Would appreciate any inputs which can leverage on; what actually was done to migrate and found effective.
Old 9th January 2018, 07:12 PM   #6
martin clark is offline martin clark  Europe
diyAudio Member

Very simple illustration of Andrew's point I wrote-up over a decade ago:

Using 3-pin regulators off-piste: part 2

Note - even a little C-R-C decoupling can help ahead of a 3-pin reg, very much; but you must be careful about where the '0v' ends of those capacitors return to. e
Effectively, they move the noise current from the input to wherever you connect them to - so their 0v termination must be on the 'dirty' 0v side, to return the HF current directly to the raw supply - and not pass across your 'clean' filtered 0v ground routes, anywhere. In other words - it's not enough to pick a preferred approach (LC, CRC, 'gyrator', whatever) - a good, well-considered layout is also an essential part of the solution.
Old 10th January 2018, 03:06 AM   #7
HiFiNutNut is offline HiFiNutNut  Australia
diyAudio Member

My BD player has SMPS PSU and it is very noisy. I put a number RC snubbers over the SMPS, multiple LCR filters, etc. but found that some ferrite cores wrapping around the output wires which go to the DAC board work wonders. I guess a lot of noise is CM noise so ferrite cores wrapping both V and 0 wires may work better than LCRs that mainly deal with differential noise. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 10th January 2018, 03:16 AM   #8
abraxalito is offline abraxalito  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito
CM noise is only an issue for connections to external units (for example the connection between a preamp and an amp, or between a source and preamp), not for the preamp itself. CM noise between units can be addressed by isolation transformers, slap-on ferrite cores (in effect they're CM chokes) only really help at very high frequencies.
Old 16th January 2018, 01:14 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Got a amateurish question:

Did I understand correctly that i read somewhere that 10mV at switching frequency (psu) is sufficiently damped by 60dB PSRR? if so, what PSRR is needed to sufficient damp a 200mVpp ripple noise of SMPS?
Old 16th January 2018, 01:18 PM   #10
nigelwright7557 is offline nigelwright7557  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

You could probably get away with just an RC filter.

Reduce SMPS ripple noise for PreAmp?Hide this!Advertise here!