Rectifier Diode "RAX GI837U" (GI 837U) - what is here very special ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
a discrete bridge rectifier with four diodes of above mentioned type in a faulty power supply is to replace. The regulated supply (5-30VDC) is no SMPS version.

Unfortunately no datasheet of this diode is online, even not under the old websites from General Instruments.

Maybe one of the member have an old databook from this brand for make a scan and upload - thank you very much.

I don`t know.
Probably nothing.
But from what I read you can use the 1N5402,3,4 instead.
yes, here
0-30 Vdc Stabilized Power Supply - Projects Q/A - Electronics-Lab.com Community
and here
Knolles ELEKTRONIK Forum: Re: Mal wieder das Netzgert, Theodor Wadelow am 27.05.2008 19:22

In this list even no short form data is mentioned:
http://www.belielektronik.rs/document/DIODE.pdf

Without genuine datasheet from General Instruments there is no clarifying possible.
This company isn't longer exist, but the PDF databook is here - unfortunately without this type:
http://mirror.thelifeofkenneth.com/lib/electronics_archive/GiRectifiers_text.pdf
General Instrument Discrete Semiconductor Data Book ( Rectifiers ) 1979 : General Instrument Corporation : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive

Maybe it is indeed a 1N540x, but with a custom made marking code.

Last edited:

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Here's the datasheet (PDF). They are high-speed types (200ns switching time), used in SMPS, hf-electronics and as free-wheeling diodes (don't know if that term is actually correct, sry) at FETs in amplifiers and high speed FET switches.

If it's a conventional power supply and not a SMPS, I would simply replace them with generic/standard diodes like the already suggested 1N5402 etc..

One issue is the junction capacitance. This affects the power line noise bleed throught. The GI ones are 28 PF. The 1N5400 family runs around 30 PF.

The recovery time for the 1N5400 family is not specified but probably is fine for your use. The forward voltage drop under load should be a tad less.

But if you can find them the UF5407 is better than the old one in every way.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.