Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Grounding with separate enclosures?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th December 2017, 07:46 PM   #21
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICG View Post
A metal case does not protect from getting radio interference over the antenna.. er, power wires into it.
Gotcha, yes, it would be a good idea to twist the supply wires
Old 30th December 2017, 08:14 PM   #22
ICG is offline ICG  Germany
diyAudio Member

In general I find it rather disturbing, if not dangerous, if a mains power standard plug (powercon) is used for a much different purpose and a possible confusion of the wires. I mean, if the powercon is plugged in - as it's intended -
with mains power voltage it could start a fire, the capacitors can explode. That's a kinda high risk, I would at least put fuses in it and after the fuse diodes to ground, that way it could still be damaged but the fuses will blow because of the high current through the diodes while the negative halfwave. And no, "it's just me who plugs it in" isn't an excuse.

Edit: I would also use different types of plugs for both voltages, an accidentally switch won't make anyone happy either.
Old 30th December 2017, 08:22 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

That's true. I have a similar set up, I'm using speakon for the power, if I used them for speaker anywhere in my system I would change them. Trusting oneself to always be paying proper attention and getting it right is a mistake. I would advise the OP if he uses the dual voltage system to make it impossible to connect them incorrectly
Old 30th December 2017, 09:34 PM   #24
TonyTecson is offline TonyTecson  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

IEC power connectors are only to be used on mains power nothing else.....

for connecting the dc supply lines other types of power connectors are to be used,
usually the round screw type male and female types....

the supplying end can be female plug types while the receiving end can be male types...

use of diodes of appropriate voltage and current in series with the dc lines can be used to prevent possible arcing on disconnecting the male and female plugs...
Old 31st December 2017, 07:48 AM   #25
TheNuge is offline TheNuge  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoplin View Post
Probably not, you'd have to check that the output stage could run at the higher voltage. You could safely use the lower tapping for both the VAS and output stage, but this would restrict the maximum output. It may also be that the higher voltage winding cannot supply the necessary current for the output stage
Hi scottjoplin,
That does work, at those voltages there's probably even quite little to be gained from running dual voltages (at least that's what my little spreadsheet tells me).

@ all: I have had the system up and running in a very improvised way: the amp section in an old enclosure, and the PSU section with all the caps on a piece of wood and the two connected with mains triplet cable and the Powercons.
The "signal star ground" in the amp enclosure wasn't connected to the enclosure, and there was no safety ground (naughty, I know).
The amp works fine, with no humming and no interference that I noticed.

Just to be clear, I want to do more or less what I just described, but using metal enclosures for both amp and PSU sections and having the whole thing safely grounded!

Cheers

Es
Old 31st December 2017, 08:28 AM   #26
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
R.I.P.

have a read of this old Thread.
It has a lot of Safety related content.
understanding star grounding
Old 31st December 2017, 10:53 AM   #27
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoplin
The star I was referring to was the one he shows in the amp enclosure, there is no need for it to be there.
There are good reasons for putting the voltage reference point near the circuits which use it. How this is then connected to safety ground is a separate issue.
Old 31st December 2017, 11:56 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

^ I'm not sure I know what you mean, the signal reference will be on the amp boards, he just shows power supply 0V from both supplies connected at the star
Old 31st December 2017, 01:13 PM   #29
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

So the star is not the signal reference point? Then it isn't a 'star ground' but merely a junction of a few wires. There is certainly no reason to join the two PSUs in the amp chassis. Doing this creates a loop, because the two PSUs cannot be separate anyway as they share a secondary CT.
Old 31st December 2017, 01:14 PM   #30
ICG is offline ICG  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
There are good reasons for putting the voltage reference point near the circuits which use it. How this is then connected to safety ground is a separate issue.
The star ground got nothing to do with the safety ground, the star ground is for optimizing signal cleanliness, especally eliminating or at least minimizing ground loops. Voltage reference points close to the circuits can be important, noise elimination is much more important in an amplifier.

Grounding with separate enclosures?Hide this!Advertise here!