Does noise from Laptop SMPS affects Differential Inputs Amplifier?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In regards to using Laptop SMPS on Differential Inputs Amplifier (eg. TDA7498, TPA3116/3318/3250/3251/3255, TK2050)?

1# Is SMPS consider noisy PSU for use of audio?
2# Are Laptop SMPS good PSU choice for Class D amp - does it provide current peaks beyond rated power?
3# Do Differential Inputs Amplifier (eg. EVM boards) design effective reject such noise?
4# Does Laptop SMPS affects sound character of such Amp?
5# Any other cost effective end-product PSU for use of audio?

Last edited:
An SMPS is fine for a Class D amp. Differential input usually includes a high CMRR. It won't give much peakover it's rating, so oversize it.

I'm using a similar SMPS to drive boost converters to power tube audio.

There are many SMPS for audio on eBay, too.

An SMPS is fine for a Class D amp. Differential input usually includes a high CMRR. It won't give much peakover it's rating, so oversize it.

I'm using a similar SMPS to drive boost converters to power tube audio.

There are many SMPS for audio on eBay, too.

As a reference point, what oversize ratio should one consider sufficient?
Are SMPS bundled with D Amp, consider better suited than using Laptop SMPS?

I usually oversize by a factor of at least two unless I don't care if it burns out.

In one case I'm using a 750W supply for a 200W load, but there is only 15mV of ripple.
I would also tend to think an SMPS that's bundled with the amplifier will be designed to handle peak currents more easily than one for a laptop, after all a laptop isn't a very dynamic load.

I usually oversize by a factor of at least two unless I don't care if it burns out.

In one case I'm using a 750W supply for a 200W load, but there is only 15mV of ripple.
I would also tend to think an SMPS that's bundled with the amplifier will be designed to handle peak currents more easily than one for a laptop, after all a laptop isn't a very dynamic load.

How you managed get powerful bundled SMPS; Can you name the SMPS model# of your 750W?

The bundled SMPS (24V*4 =120W) are even below the end-product D Class rated power (140W) !

Thk for correction there.

interesting! for this ATX PSU, does need use a cooling fan?
Does such PSU possible cause any sound coloration?

No fan required in ECO mode. It can supply 400W in 50c ambient without the fan turning on. It's an 80 PLUS gold supply, with a 10 year warranty, that can supply 62A with 15mV of ripple. No it doesn't "colour" the sound whatsoever. In fact, it's resulting stiffness makes it much better than the equivelent linear supply, with half the weight, much better efficiency, and a lower total cost of ownership.

Here's the review: EVGA Supernova G2 750W Review

Last edited:
No fan required in ECO mode. It can supply 400W in 50c ambient without the fan turning on. It's an 80 PLUS gold supply, with a 10 year warranty, that can supply 62A with 15mV of ripple. No it doesn't "colour" the sound whatsoever. In fact, it's resulting stiffness makes it much better than the equivelent linear supply, with half the weight, much better efficiency, and a lower total cost of ownership.

Here's the review: EVGA Supernova G2 750W Review

Can share meanwell model#?
15mv ripple really? i was evaluting and read 150mV somewhere...
ECO mode?: does it comes with Fan, will automatically turn-on if the power output is getting high?

I found various Meanwell SMPS; some with fan, some without, NES, S, etc.

laptop supplies have generally a flyback type converter. the tuigh coupling betweeen primary and secondary needed results in a strong noise between the windings, mostly reduced by a capacitor between primary and secondary, across the safety barrier.

the resulting pumpout noise can be detrimental for simple audio connections between laptops and audio receiving units. audio isolation transformers like sold as audio noise filter in car audio shops can remedy that. resonant forward converters as used in modern high efficiency sw mode supplies have far less pumpout noise.

ripple is just one parameter and hardly affects the audio as most amplifiers have a decent PSRR; pump out noise is the culprit as that results into the input terminals as common mode noise current through ground lines. yes, then differential signaling from your source to the amp does help

ripple is just one parameter and hardly affects the audio as most amplifiers have a decent PSRR; pump out noise is the culprit as that results into the input terminals as common mode noise current through ground lines. yes, then differential signaling from your source to the amp does help

Does it mean Differential Inputs mode completely negate/indifferent to the effects of ripple voltage (be it low or high) from SMPS?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.