Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

120V to 240V internally
120V to 240V internally
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th January 2018, 01:02 PM   #31
kodabmx is offline kodabmx  Canada
diyAudio Member

How hot is the step down? I've found that 50Hz will heat the core of a 60Hz transformer quite a lot.
Old 9th January 2018, 07:59 PM   #32
armarra1 is offline armarra1  Australia
diyAudio Member

Im unsure as i dont have a measure but its plastic outer is warm like cosy but not hot like a slight sting if that helps.

Curiously i have another cassette deck which indicates 50/60hz on its back panel suggesting for that pioneer cassette changer unit the frequency of the mains line doesnt matter.
Old 9th January 2018, 08:11 PM   #33
leadbelly is online now leadbelly  Canada
diyAudio Member

120V to 240V internally
A couple of comments:

I suspect that the thermal fuse is between pins 5 and 6, and you have a single 120V winding between pins 3 and 6, so rewiring for 240V is not possible.

If you are are using that stepdown from the ebay link, I highly doubt that has a transformmer inside, it is just too small. It's likely solid state and clipping the waveform down, which may cause audible artifacts on an audio device like yours. I would fully check it out to make sure it is working properly.
Old 9th January 2018, 08:26 PM   #34
Old'n'Cranky is online now Old'n'Cranky  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by armarra1 View Post
OnC if i saw a switch to select 120 or 240v then I'd not have asked this question as it would have an obvious answer and you guys are better than that i presume.

I dont know if your ref to 706 is different to the w703rs but all i know is that

the manual tells me to change primary terminals.

I dont seem to have the same numbers as it says and i havent managed to make sense of it.

I hope the picture helps you guys.

Thx for perservering this far.

For the last time.

THE

SCHEMATIC

Or at the least screen shots of the relevant sections.
Old 9th January 2018, 08:30 PM   #35
armarra1 is offline armarra1  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadbelly View Post
A couple of comments:

I suspect that the thermal fuse is between pins 5 and 6, and you have a single 120V winding between pins 3 and 6, so rewiring for 240V is not possible.

If you are are using that stepdown from the ebay link, I highly doubt that has a transformmer inside, it is just too small. It's likely solid state and clipping the waveform down, which may cause audible artifacts on an audio device like yours. I would fully check it out to make sure it is working properly.
Thanks for your comments.

I need an oscilloscope for that.

Yes I figured altering the primary for 240 wasnt possible but the manual says otherwise so i threw it out there to you guys.

The clipping might explain the lower than fully bright display. No audible effects on player and speed appears good but could well be down a semitone. Hard to tell.

120V to 240V internallyHide this!Advertise here!