Battery DC converter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
first try more diodes in parallel, if datasheet is right, than low current leads to lower temperature and lower voltage drop ... more diodes parallel == less current through one diode
Not a chance it would significantly lower the voltage drop.
Firstly, they will not share current equally.
Secondly, assuming equal share, the drop will be very little because of the V versus I of diodes.

Not a chance it would significantly lower the voltage drop.
Firstly, they will not share current equally.
Secondly, assuming equal share, the drop will be very little because of the V versus I of diodes.

I am also not sure, in simulation diode which I suggested have this behavior:

https://ctrlv.cz/shots/2017/11/28/suw8.png (load 430mA)

as you can see, more parallel theoreticaly leads to decreasing current through one diode and voltage drop is less in result, but yes, reality can be different ... still not 0.2V but is closer

Last edited:
For some odd raison I missed why you need diodes.
There might be a solution using ultra caps.
They are capacitors with so huge capacities, they can be used as batteries.
They have less capacity than batteries, but can be quick charged much faster.

I need diods to adjut lifepo4 output batteries voltage without to loose the vey low impedance.
I use batteries because i want ultra low noise supply and AC isolation for devices upstream my DAC (downsream Delock MFC and Olimex lime player). Lifepo4 batteries is IME from far the best result in SQ.

You can use LM337 for a ultra low noise supply.
There is no need for huge caps or sophisticated add ons.
Cascading two LM337 will give zero ripple.

Why this one would give me a better result than the other ultra low noise regulator ? (That for me at this time are far from my lifepo4)

A ldo does nothing for comon mode noise if connected to AC, rigth ?

How can i calculate the loss of curent with a ldo ? It is important if i use a battery upstream for AC isolation ...

B.

I suppose power lost with ldo = Vdo x Iout ?? (130ma in my config, not so bad).
Thinking about it i am going to test : large 6,4v lifepo4 >> tps7a4700, 3,3v >> A123 lifepo4 3,3V>> diods >> 3, 05v

I should have :
- the Ac decoupling
- stable voltage
- the very low noise
- the very low ouput impedance (that will be better with the lifepo4 A123 at 3,3v than 3,1 so why the diod). I need 3,1v ouput for my MFC.

Last edited:
Hi ... maybe you already found out yourself but
if what you mean is that the power dissipated in the ldo is the voltage across the ldo x the current through the ldo then that is correct.

yes, if what you mean by "the current through the ldo" is the current lost by the ldo, not the output ldo current (?)

I did test this morning 6,4v lifepo4>>tps7a>>3,3v lifepo4. Sounds great.
This evening with quiet environment if will test without ldo / without 3,3v lifepo4 to see if i hear differences.

B.

After new tests : The voltage is stable (i had thermal shutdown with the TPS7A and put a larger heatsink).
With 3,1V ldo output (so the lifepo4 used as a buffer is on low charge), i can hear the TPS7A.
I set the TPS7A to 3,3V and put two low drop out diods in parrallel after the 3,3V lifepo4, so i get the 3,1V output but the battery is in high load. -> I don't hear the tps7A any more, it is like if it was not there.

An interresting thread on the sugbect : Noise measurements for LiFePo4 and supercapacitors?

Is there a way to manage the risk of full discharge of my lifepo4 3,3v buffer in case i forget to switch off ?

B.

IMG_9128.jpg.4e5fa51e092c57da3e187995505920db.jpg

You can use LM337 for a ultra low noise supply.
There is no need for huge caps or sophisticated add ons.
Cascading two LM337 will give zero ripple.

You were rigth. i just test the LM337 instead of the TPS7A and the result is very good with float charge with two lifepo4 as a buffer. Even better than the TPS7A4700. I suspect that the TPS7A is too short in curent for my delock MFC and that it increases the noise.

I have a lot of heat with the LM337. I have to check how long i takes now to flat my 6,4V battery.

Last edited:
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi again,

Is there a way to manage the risk of full discharge of my lifepo4 3,3v buffer in case i forget to switch off ?

B.

.. a suggestion could be to build an LM555 based timing circuitry that switches on the charger after e.g. 2½ hours of listening time - that is the charger is off as long as the LM555 is "set". It could be done e.g. with a relay which is controlled by the LM555. If your charging circuitry is connected to the AC mains in isolation an on/off clock in the AC mains could do the same ...

Cheers,

Jesper

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.