Battery DC converter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
HI,

I supply my player (olimex) and an optical bridge with 6,4V and 3,3V lifepo4 battery.
The voltage is not exactly the good one but i don't want to use LDOs. At this time i use diods to decrease the 6,4V to around 5V and i need to decrease the 3,3V to 3,1V.

Is there a way to adjust the voltage without to loose the ultra low noise and impedance benefits of the lifepo4 cells ?

Thank You for your help

Bernard

Hi thank you.

I thought diod gave only 0,6v down.
I have seen that with several diod in series, drop out on each diod was not constant and is decreasing with the number of diods. Is it normal ?

Are they other parameters i should take care on the diods if i don't want extra noise or impedance increasing ?

B.

Last edited:
yes, forward voltage is changed with forward current ... and it is why it is not very good regulator when current is not constant ... when you know average forward current, you can select best diode for your application, each diode have datasheet and tables where is forward voltage vs forward current in chart ...
and yes you can give more diodes into series

Hi thank you.

I thought diod gave only 0,6v down.
I have seen that with several diod in series, drop out on each diod was not constant and is decreasing with the number of diods. Is it normal ?

Are they other parameters i should take care on the diods if i don't want extra noise or impedance increasing ?

B.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Salut Bernard,

May I suggest something a bit different ... LiFePO4 batteries typically are 3.3 to 3.4 VDC when float charged (i.e. constantly charging).

However, there is the option of only charging the batteries when you do not listen (seriously) to your system ... For example a couple of LM317T (with adequate cooling) may supply the batteries with e.g. 3.3 VDC - and you can just switch off the charger when listening. You do have to take care though that you do not forget to switch on the charger again - otherwise the batteries may be destroyed. However, depending on how skilled you are with electronics a suitable timer (e.g. a three hours switch off time) can be built with an LM555 timer IC.

Also I would suggest a balancing unit (e.g. a TL431) on each of the batteries in the 6.4 VDC voltage. Thus both battery cells remain at the same voltage.

If you would like 5 VDC directly from batteries I would suggest LiTO (lithium Titanate) batteries that can be charged to up to 2.8 VDC - and should be quite fine at 2.5 VDC.

Good luck with your battery solutions.

Cheers,

Jesper

Last edited:

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Common Silicon diodes are "0.6V" (0.5V to 1.2V depending on current).

Germanium diodes (now rare) were in the 0.2V-0.4V range.

Copper-Oxide (now even rarer) could be under 0.1V to over 1V depending on size and current.

Vacuum diodes can be well under 0.1V or over 50V, depending on current, which is usually much lower than modern electronics need. (They also need a heater power supply.)

Schottky diodes tend to about half the drop of Silicon; they are semiconductor-to-metal instead of semiconductor-to-semiconductor. This is the type that miro1360 is pointing you to.

In this application, diodes are not noisy.

Last edited:
when you know average forward current, you can select best diode for your application, each diode have datasheet and tables where is forward voltage vs forward current in chart ...

Hi thank you
Is Vf Vs Cf linear ? The current is stable in my case (450 mA).

May I suggest something a bit different ... LiFePO4 batteries typically are 3.3 to 3.4 VDC when float charged (i.e. constantly charging).

This is allready what i do. The goal is to get the low noise, the low impedance and a full isolation.

The load cut itself if the voltage become too low (6,5V - 4,9V for my olimex player given for 5V), (? to 3V for my delock MFC given for 3,3V).

I charge it once a week. and disconnect everything from AC after load but i don't disconnect the batteries from the loader so i have very small leaks. I don't know if it is supposed to have impact on noise or output impedance. i could change this.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi again,

I charge it once a week. and disconnect everything from AC after load but i don't disconnect the batteries from the loader so i have very small leaks. I don't know if it is supposed to have impact on noise or output impedance. i could change this.

I am not quite sure what you say here ... Do you mean that you don't disconnect the charger from the batteries even if you disconnect the charger from the AC mains? In any case if you want to "completely" isolate your player/battery setup from the charging circuit you might place a relay between the charger & the batteries. Make sure to disconnect both the ground & the + voltages, and also to ensure that the relay will sustain the max current that may go through the relay when it is switched on (remember here that capacitors may discharge with significant currents).

I don't know though if this will be audible ... but it will isolate your playback part from the AC mains.

Cheers,

Jesper

Hi,

Sorry, made a mistake. Yes i disconnet battery from loader when i use it. And disconnect loaders from AC too. I first wanted to use relays but did not at the end (i use mecanical switchs) because i did not want to supply them with an external supply to avoid HF noise transfert througt self. I am paranoid for this. I don't even use a switch for AC connect but a plug with no physical contact when unplugged (an of course disconnected on both poles for common mode curent blocking).

Hi,

I received my diods and make a test.
The diod that had the lowest drop out (0,21 at 1A), give me a 0,3v drop out at 0,45A ...
I am going to test other diods with a low Vf but given for a higher If, with few hope.

Are the 3,7v Li-on batteries voltage as stable as lifepo4 ?

Other option will be the regulator ...

Do you know if there are other solution for a 0,2V drop out ?

B.

Last edited:
No ... i can try tomorrow.
Strange behaviour. Why parrallelize them would drop ou voltage more than one ?

I just try a lps + tps7a4700 ldo at 3,1v. The SQ lost is important compare to the lifepo4.

I am waiting for the battery to go around 3,1v and then i will try the lifepo4 parrallel on the tps7a output to compare to the lifepo4 alone and see if voltage is stable.

Ha yes of course.

With the battery after the tps7a, the sound become bad again when the battery voltage goes around the ldo output voltage, and that this one starts to work again.

I don't understand why i can hear a supposed very low noise ldo on this MFC... maybe it is realky low noise but doesn't have tge ability to remove pcb digital noise as lifepo4 battery would do ?

I will do another test : 5v battery supply and then Ldo (and an other test with 3,3v battery + parralel diods).
Do you know wich current do i have to take on the ldo specification to estimate the current loss in the ldo ? (If i put my 5v battery upstream the ldo and that the sq is ok ?

Thank you,

Bernard

5v battery supply and then Ldo should be good, take current at least 1A, try LM3940 or LM317 (but this one is not LDO)

I had lowest sound quality with the lps + tps7a so i have a doubt. It can be :
Because i have common mode noise that comes from ac that goes to my mfc/player/dac.
Because i have noise that goes throught the ldo. When a ldo is given for very low noise, isn't suppose to filter this normal mode current noise ?
Because lifepo4 acts as a denoiser on whole pcb/ground plane because of its very low impedance.

If it is the last option ldo after battery will give a not so good result.
Other problem is i risk to get a lost of battery charge due to the heat.

I am going to test...

B.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.