Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Monster Power HTS5100 dead...need help diagnosing
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th November 2017, 02:40 PM   #1
chromenuts is offline chromenuts  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Monster Power HTS5100 dead...need help diagnosing

HTS-5100

It died the other day. No idea why.

EDIT:

It was a bad transformer on the power board.

Had done some testing on it based on a repair video I came across for another 5100. There was no proper voltage at the secondaries.

Once I got it off the board I confirmed the primary had no resistance at all and must've failed internally.

I replaced it with the smallest torroid I had lying around (120/2X15 80VA) that measured just short of 18V on the secondaries when I powered it up on the bench.

I hooked it up to the board mains inlet and wired the secondaries in parallel for a test. It fired right up.

I had to get creative and jack the board up with more stand offs so I could tuck the bigger tranny in underneath. Good to go.

If I had never found this forum and started messing around with DIY 10 years ago, I probably never would have been able to fix it. Thanks DIYAudio!

Last edited by chromenuts; 12th November 2017 at 03:15 AM.
Old 9th November 2017, 02:57 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Can't upload pics no matter what I try. Tried phone with only one DIY tab open, just keeps failing. Not even getting an error message from the site now...just a lost network message. My network is up and operating fine. What gives?
Old 9th November 2017, 03:25 PM   #3
jazbo8 is offline jazbo8
diyAudio Moderator

Try rebooting the iPad. If it still does not work, clear your browser's cache. Also, note there is a size limit on the images, make sure you are not exceeding it.
Old 9th November 2017, 03:40 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Pics

Rebooted phone and uploaded one pic at a time. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4144.jpg (1,013.5 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4156.jpg (981.8 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4160.jpg (787.9 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4165.jpg (661.1 KB, 77 views)
Old 12th November 2017, 03:22 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Fixed!

Happy pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (963.2 KB, 61 views)
Old 12th November 2017, 04:52 AM   #6
RNMarsh is offline RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member

Hello,

As the principal architect for all Monster power products, you have one of their best models. Only the -7000 is better. Can you tell me your impression of with it and without the -5100?

[Good trouble shooting. Transformer failure is very rare]

Sincerely,
Richard Marsh
Old 13th November 2017, 11:27 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I'm not sure I am the person to ask such a question. I have far from golden ears.

I purchased the 5100 used for about $200. It was a more logistical decision. My system had grown, and I needed at least the 10 outlets the 5100 offered. I didn't like the idea of chaining together power strips. I would not have purchased it new. My budget would not allow.

I read some reviews about it I'm sure, although I can't recall any details. I trusted it would give me surge protection as well as or better than power strips.

I also hoped it would prevent any horrible noise from either the furnace, refrigerator etc. when they cycled on if I was listening to music. I'm fairly sure it does, although I do use an isolated 20Amp circuit that nothing else runs on directly that was originally installed for a large AC unit.

Monster Power HTS5100 dead...need help diagnosingHide this!Advertise here!