Monster Power HTS5100 dead...need help diagnosing

Joined 2008
Paid Member
HTS-5100

It died the other day. No idea why.

EDIT:

It was a bad transformer on the power board.

Had done some testing on it based on a repair video I came across for another 5100. There was no proper voltage at the secondaries.

Once I got it off the board I confirmed the primary had no resistance at all and must've failed internally.

I replaced it with the smallest torroid I had lying around (120/2X15 80VA) that measured just short of 18V on the secondaries when I powered it up on the bench.

I hooked it up to the board mains inlet and wired the secondaries in parallel for a test. It fired right up.

I had to get creative and jack the board up with more stand offs so I could tuck the bigger tranny in underneath. Good to go.

If I had never found this forum and started messing around with DIY 10 years ago, I probably never would have been able to fix it. Thanks DIYAudio!

Last edited:
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Pics

Rebooted phone and uploaded one pic at a time. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_4144.jpg
    IMG_4144.jpg
    1,013.5 KB · Views: 1,005
  • IMG_4156.jpg
    IMG_4156.jpg
    981.8 KB · Views: 551
  • IMG_4160.jpg
    IMG_4160.jpg
    787.9 KB · Views: 515
  • IMG_4165.jpg
    IMG_4165.jpg
    661.1 KB · Views: 560
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Hello,

As the principal architect for all Monster power products, you have one of their best models. Only the -7000 is better. Can you tell me your impression of with it and without the -5100?

[Good trouble shooting. Transformer failure is very rare]

Sincerely,
Richard Marsh

Joined 2008
Paid Member
I'm not sure I am the person to ask such a question. I have far from golden ears.

I purchased the 5100 used for about $200. It was a more logistical decision. My system had grown, and I needed at least the 10 outlets the 5100 offered. I didn't like the idea of chaining together power strips. I would not have purchased it new. My budget would not allow.

I read some reviews about it I'm sure, although I can't recall any details. I trusted it would give me surge protection as well as or better than power strips.

I also hoped it would prevent any horrible noise from either the furnace, refrigerator etc. when they cycled on if I was listening to music. I'm fairly sure it does, although I do use an isolated 20Amp circuit that nothing else runs on directly that was originally installed for a large AC unit.

New to the forum, and long Shot here, but my HTS 5100 died over the weekend. The Front Panel still works and shows input Voltage and current draw, but nothing is being outputted for power. I tried resetting the 15a breaker on the back, which in the past did the trick, but this time it didn't do anything. I have only reset it 3 times in almost 18 years. The fact that this thing has last that long is pretty amazing. It looks like "Chromenuts" (poster above) replaced the large transformer in a unit, Wondering if his still had front display information with the bad transformer. Like I said, I'm new to the forums so I don't know how to directly contact him. The display does show 119-120v, My camera must have caught the flicker or change in digits. It looks like a the transfer is leaking, but I believe that is just a glue product as it's also on many of the other components. Any help would be greatly appreciated

IMG_0334[1].JPEG
IMG_0335[1].JPEG
IMG_0336[1].JPEG

Last edited:
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Hi Schreif

I’m pretty sure my unit was completely dead and wouldn’t power on at all…it’s been a while and my memory of the repair isn’t very clear.

For reference…this is a link to the repair video I found that helped me diagnose the problem.

If you suspect the transformer then measuring the primary resistance is what confirms the issue.

Hi Schreif

I’m pretty sure my unit was completely dead and wouldn’t power on at all…it’s been a while and my memory of the repair isn’t very clear.

For reference…this is a link to the repair video I found that helped me diagnose the problem.

If you suspect the transformer then measuring the primary resistance is what confirms the issue.
Thanks! I did watch that Video and I will attempt to run that same test. Been awhile since I pulled out a transformer. I'm assuming I would have to remove it to test it?

Joined 2008
Paid Member
I believe I had to pull it in order to measure across the primary.

Either way, you have to remove the board its mounted on in order to do anything.

You could try initially just flipping it out of the case to see where the line voltage connects to the primary do a visual inspection and take a quick measurement.

Checking the power coming off the first board with the transformer, to the primary board, it's outputting 120v to the 2nd board. Checking the power to each output, it's only at 8.2v-6.7v. So I'm assuming it's something on the send board causing the issue. Any ideas what to test?

Joined 2008
Paid Member
You would be following the traces from your line voltage neutral and line input connections on the top of the board to the transformer and measuring impedance across where they connect to the transformer.

An open reading across those connections to the transformer would indicate a damaged primary winding as indicated in the video.

That was the issue I was lucky enough to have and solve by replacing my transformer.

I do recall that there was also line voltage (120VAC) that ran through the same board…which makes sense as that is what you are filtering etc and subsequently sending to the outlets.

I didn’t have to do any further diagnostics.

It’s been a while since I was inside the unit and, to be honest, it was basically dumb luck that I fixed it as my circuit diagnostic skills are minimal at best.

Perhaps someone else will chime in with some additional suggestions.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Well it looks like the transformer fix bought me another 5 years…my unit stopped working properly again today.

It powers up properly and after time delay it sends power to the outlets.

Shortly afterwards I hear the relay click again and power output is cut to all my devices.

Not sure how to trouble shoot this one.

Not even sure how old this thing is at this point.

Wondering if its a relay that’s the issue and how to test the theory.