Sharing 18-0-18 with LT1963A

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am trying to power es9028q2m using one transformer. It has separate power inputs 12V for Digital and 18-0-18 for opamps (LM337+LM317) , image below. Digital section is using LT1963A to supply 3.3 to DAC.

I think the circuit is regular full bridge followed by capacitor and regulator. The capacitor is 4300uF and 25V. Datasheet for LT1963A says it is rated for 20V

My question is can i use the 18-0-18V to power digital section as well. I tried, plugging one end and center pin to DC, got sparks and smokes under the capacitor. Is it 4300uF and 25V capacitor too less for the 18V after bridge. Or it has to do with the partial use of the central tap power supply.

Thanks

ZNSmssJ.jpg

JImdhIS.jpg

n4U63hz.jpg

TRANSFORMER

u0MzssN.jpg

OLD USE OF TRANSFORMER IN AVR-40, TOP SECTION IS NOT USED (40-0-40V)

My assumption was power supply separation was made to isolate noises from one part to another.

When you said separate and connected, did you mean assuming separation was required. Or something relating to electronics principals and elimination of high enough noise or other complex reason that separation is not a choice but needed for its functioning.

Thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.