Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Help needed to identify which primary wires to use in a transformer
Help needed to identify which primary wires to use in a transformer
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th October 2017, 04:28 AM   #11
PRR is online now PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith_correa View Post
{snip}....which two of the 4 wires to pick for 230V input.....
The highest resistance. White-Red.

The intermediate taps would be harder to figure. So stay in 230V land.
Old 12th October 2017, 01:36 PM   #12
keith_correa is offline keith_correa  India
diyAudio Member

I used a bulb limiter (thanks, DF96) to feed 230V to the red and white primaries. Got 16VAC on the secondary. Perfect for my need. Thanks Ben Mah, DF96 and PRR! You've all been a big help! Much appreciated.
Old 13th October 2017, 10:10 AM   #13
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
From the resistance data I am going to suggest that white is common, brown is 110V, orange is 127V and red is 230V. The lower voltage part of the primary has been wound with thicker wire.
The tapping resistances are slightly unusual and I would have to agree with DF that they have probably used a thicker wire on part of the primary winding to try to increase efficiency on one of the low voltage windings.
An unusual way to wind and tap for various mains voltages.

Using all three windings in series is the safest way.
And the Mains Bulb Tester saves against damaging accidents.
Old 13th October 2017, 11:04 AM   #14
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
The tapping resistances are slightly unusual and I would have to agree with DF that they have probably used a thicker wire on part of the primary winding to try to increase efficiency on one of the low voltage windings.
An unusual way to wind and tap for various mains voltages.
It was *the* way to wind multi mains voltage transformers for ages, until cutthroat competition forced manufacturers to save a few grams of copper.

Nowadays itīs more common to wind just 2 same wire diameter primaries (you save on readjusting the winding machine and buy just one size of primary wire) which can be used in series for 220/240V or parallel for 110/120V mains, perfect adjustment be d*mned, this is the "one size fits all" era, and a different 100V primary for Japan use only , *or* different 110/120V or 220/240V tapped primaries where the tap can be wound with same wire as the main one, voltage/current difference being on the order of 10% or less; plus a different untapped 100V primary for Japan.

Hey!!!! saving 10 cents per unit in a 10000000 unit run means saving
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 13th October 2017, 11:15 AM   #15
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
R.I.P.

if you have a 0-100-110-120Vac and dual that,
you end up with primary options of 100, 110 & 120Vac for the low voltage countries
and 200, 210, 220, 230, & 240 for the high voltage countries.

The current difference between the 100, 110 and 120Vac tappings makes it unecessary to reduce the wire diameter for the two higher voltage tappings.
Old 13th October 2017, 11:22 AM   #16
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Winding taps cost money. These days load factor rules almost insist on SMPS anyway.

Help needed to identify which primary wires to use in a transformerHide this!Advertise here!