ESL bias supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Should the cap for the bias be a Y rated cap for safety? And, does the value matter? I am thinking because the circuit draws such little current they can get away with such a small amount of capacitance. i.e. Once it charges up there is hardly any ripple because of the miniscule load. I was asking because I have a handful of .1uF 1.5kV rated Russian K42-Y capacitors.

Thanks,

-bird

Attachments

• janszen_1-30_65_130_electrostatic_tweeters_after_sn_8253_sch.pdf_1.png
    janszen_1-30_65_130_electrostatic_tweeters_after_sn_8253_sch.pdf_1.png
    73.7 KB · Views: 87
Should the cap for the bias be a Y rated cap for safety?
No, there is no "human" safety involved here. That said, a Y cap will work, and there will be no noticeable inconvenients.
And, does the value matter?
The value matters a little, because you don't want parasitic modulations caused by the diode's turnoff or the program, but beyond a certain value, there won't be any improvements.
With 100nF, you will increase the size of the jolt, should you venture your fingers in the wrong place, and also the damages in case of arcing.

4n7 seems a little light, but I don't think going over 22nF makes sense

No, there is no "human" safety involved here.

I was just worried that if the cap failed short there could be -1kV sitting on the input terminal strip which someone could touch. I just noticed they put the diode backwards in that schematic.

The value matters a little, because you don't want parasitic modulations caused by the diode's turnoff or the program, but beyond a certain value, there won't be any improvements.

With 100nF, you will increase the size of the jolt, should you venture your fingers in the wrong place, and also the damages in case of arcing.

4n7 seems a little light, but I don't think going over 22nF makes sense

Looks like I am going to have to order some caps then. One speaker had a bunch of ceramics in series that I couldn't read the values of. The other speaker had one cap that reads 681 so I assume it's a 680pF cap and also needs to be replaced.....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.