AC Voltage Stabilizer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
sumotan said:
What are you saying Scott, I've played with a couple of smps and I dare
say that Hypex really knows what they're doing. Not easy to make a good
sounding smps ya.
But you have started this thread because their SMPS is inadequate. How can an SMPS with poor output stability be "good sounding"?

In order to achieve low output impedance the PSU control circuit must compare the output voltage with a reference voltage. For some peculiar reason they have chosen the input voltage as the source of the reference voltage. Why? This guarantees that mains voltage variations are duly transferred through to the output. How daft is that?

Why not buy a proper SMPS from a proper PSU maker, rather than an audiophile SMPS from an audiophile maker?

Note for those who have not seen the PSU datasheet: it varies the output voltage with the input voltage. This is not a fault, but a documented feature. If your mains drops 5% then the output voltage drops 5%. Maybe they were trying to ape a transformer?

Last edited:

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
An affordable computer UPS is NOT an answer.

Nearly all UPSes just pass-through if the line is 108V-128V (or similar in 220V lands). They only go to work if the input voltage is way out of range.

Nearly all affordable computer UPSes make a really ugly wave-form. I remember ones with a SQUARE output. Currently most use a 3-step output so the Peak and RMS are similar to a Sine; but with far more harmonics. Better UPSes may filter the harmonics somewhat. But it can be "5% THD" and still throw a lot of crap out the output. Computers don't mind; audio systems judged on "SQ" may give crappy output.

The true off-line conversion UPSes are generally far too expensive to contemplate. Even these may not have good clean output.

A 24V 1A transformer may be used to boost your 220V to 244V. Of course it would make 229V into 254V, so if this exceeds safe rating you need to watch the high-voltage times of day.

I too think there must be a better power supply.

DIY option:

1. Generate 50 Hz signal
DDS Signal Generator AD9833 Module Programmable Microprocessors Sine Square Wave | eBay

2. Amplify it
WONDOM 1X 400W Class D Audio Amplifier Board Compact T-AMP Module Subwoofer | eBay

3. Power this things from SMPS
High quality HIFI 800W SMPS +/-60V LLC Soft switching power supply board AMP PSU | eBay

4. Use some toroid power transformer, backwards. Set 240V by a volume control pot.

Edit: what I found on ePay, just examples. You need an amp and PS that match each other.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.