2 Separate Transformers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello fellow audio DIYers (although I am novice at this thing).

I am planning to build LM1875 gainclone in stereo setup and I will be using 2 separate transformers 18-0-18 4A. My question probably had been asked and answered but I will ask the most novice question anyway. Can I join together the 0V of these 2 separate transformers in a circuit? And if I can, will it have an undesirable effect to each channel? And can I use 2 separate switches as well or DPDT will do the job.

Thank you in advance. :D

Joined 2011
Can I join together the 0V of these 2 separate transformers in a circuit? And if I can,
will it have an undesirable effect to each channel? And can I use 2 separate switches as well
or DPDT will do the job.

Remember that the L/R input grounds connect to a common ground in the source.
It's a question of avoiding hum-causing ground loops. You don't have to connect
the two center taps though, or any other part of the two amplifier circuits.
There can be two totally independent mono circuits.

The primary windings are in parallel when connected to the AC line, so a single switch is enough.

Last edited:
Yes, most stereo amps use a single power supply. The grounding with two or more channels can sometimes be prone to hum but is easily remedied

Thanks for your reply. Please note that I only be using transformer with single output center tap 4A 18-0-18 single output only (not dual). Is this sufficient for 2 LM1875? Sorry for redundant question. I am thinking maybe you think that I have a dual output on the second winding.

Not necessary with those chips, there is enough power available (thanks to Andrew T) from the supply (I didn't check the chip, not familiar with it, left that up to you ;):)).

Whew... That saves me a lot of time re-arranging my PCB layout.

Say, can you take a look at my PCB design? I'm kind a really don't have the idea of proper grounding. As you can see at the layout, I put a ground plane between the power supply of the first channel and the input components of the second channel. I am thinking that maybe it will shield the input from any noise that comes from the power supply of the first channel. :D

PUuAuP9.jpg

18-0-18Vac @ 4Aac is 144VA
That is enough for upto 144W of total maximum power.
two channels of lm1875 is well below that upper limit.

Thanks AndrewT for your input. I really appreciate it.

Last edited:
How many of those traces running to a remotely located GND are actually the other half of a signal Flow and Return pair?

Do not split a Flow and Return pair. The increased LOOP AREA becomes an aerial for picking up interference.

And the speaker output is a Signal Flow and Return pair. Keep the Return closely coupled with the Signal Flow, all the way from the PSU through the amplifier to the speaker terminals.

How many of those traces running to a remotely located GND are actually the other half of a signal Flow and Return pair?

Do not split a Flow and Return pair. The increased LOOP AREA becomes an aerial for picking up interference.

And the speaker output is a Signal Flow and Return pair. Keep the Return closely coupled with the Signal Flow, all the way from the PSU through the amplifier to the speaker terminals.

Uhmm... English please... haha lol. I really don't understand what you said. As I said I'm a novice in this thing.

When you said "split", did you mean I have traces of GND from the amps side at one point and then another traces of GND at the power supply at one different point? Is it just safe to put a one whole ground plane on the entire PCB? I am completely no idea. If you could lay it out for me, I will really appreciate that.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.