Power supply output

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys, I need some advice regarding power supply issues. Input at 230V goes through power rectifier IN5408 X4. The output I'm getting is around 460V. Actual power caps is 270uf/450V but diagram shows 220uf/450V. If replace to 220uf will i get higher or lower value.

Attachments

• IMG_5679.jpg
    IMG_5679.jpg
    833.3 KB · Views: 200
Agree.
You seem to be using the nominal 320V tap today, which is too high, not only because of EL34 which has some flexibility but much worse, because of C12/C9 which are right on the edge or beyond.

So as RussC suggests, go to the next lower tap, which by the way is a much better solution than adding a resistor in series, because output voltage will be way more stable and predictable.

Hi guys, I need some advice regarding power supply issues. Input at 230V goes through power rectifier IN5408 X4. The output I'm getting is around 460V. Actual power caps is 270uf/450V but diagram shows 220uf/450V. If replace to 220uf will i get higher or lower value.
The output voltage is
Vsecout = Mains voltage/Rated Primary voltage * Rated secondary voltage * {1+transformer regulation}

If the transformer is 230:280Vac 10% regulation and mains is 6% high (243.8Vac) then the secondary voltage is:
Vout = 243.8 / 230 * 280 * {1+0.1} = 326.5Vac
Rectify that and store the peak voltage after allowing for 0.5Vf across each rectifier diode and you have 460.7Vdc stored on the capacitor.

Learn to do the arithmetic. It's not difficult.

The rCC shown in post1 will try to charge the capacitors with an enormous initial current.
I suggest you add some resistance before or just after the power rectifier.
This will extend the life of the rectifier and of the capacitors.

The reason for the high initial current is the small value of "r"
It might be anywhere from 10r to 20r and even 20r would allow an initial pulse of ~23Apk through the rectifier and into the capacitors.
Add two or three Power Thermistors or Power resistors, to reduce the current peak.

This is an approximation to the peak voltage of a sinewave.
You are misleading anyone who believes that it can simply be applied to any mains transformer.
Have you discovered a new kind of Physics? :eek:
If so, publish your results in some peer reviewed Physics or Science and wait for grinning approval .... or laughter. :rolleyes:

What is YOUR definition of the peak value of a sinewave? Inquiring minds want to know.

The rCC shown in post1 will try to charge the capacitors with an enormous initial current.
WHERE do you read that?I see NO mention of "rCC" on post#1, either typed or in the picture supplied?
Are you answering to this post? :confused:

I suggest you add some resistance before or just after the power rectifier.
This will extend the life of the rectifier and of the capacitors.
Sure, but billions of power supplies do NOT add any extra resistance and work fine since .... forever.
The reason for the high initial current is the small value of "r"
Which is ....... ?
It might be anywhere from 10r to 20r and even 20r would allow an initial pulse of ~23Apk through the rectifier and into the capacitors.
So?
You discovered nothing new, semiconductor manufacturers know that, so much so that they, precisely, specify a surge current value in the datasheets.
For 1N5408, what we are talking here, Vishay (who should know) says:
1N5400, 1N5401, 1N5402, 1N5403, 1N5404, 1N5405, 1N5406, 1N5407, 1N5408
Vishay - manufacturer of discrete semiconductors and passive components Vishay General Semiconductor
Revision: 01-Aug-13 1 Document Number: 88516
For technical questions within your region: DiodesAmericas@vishay.com, DiodesAsia@vishay.com, DiodesEurope@vishay.com
THIS DOCUMENT IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE. THE PRODUCTS DESCRIBED HEREIN AND THIS DOCUMENT
ARE SUBJECT TO SPECIFIC DISCLAIMERS, SET FORTH AT www.vishay.com/doc?91000
General Purpose Plastic Rectifier
FEATURES
• Low forward voltage drop
• Low leakage current
• High forward surge capability
PRIMARY CHARACTERISTICS
IFSM 200 A
MAXIMUM RATINGS (TA = 25 °C unless otherwise noted)
Peak forward surge current 8.3 ms single half sine-wave superimposed on rated load ...... IFSM ..... 200 A

Add two or three Power Thermistors or Power resistors, to reduce the current peak.
Not bad, but two or three :eek:
One is enough, in series with primary.
And typical values hover around 5 ohms.
Learn to do the arithmetic. It's not difficult.
Indeed :rolleyes:

look again at post1 schematic.
C12 & C9 = CC
the resistances of the preceding wiring, power rectifier and transformer add up to the "r" that is often ignored.
That capacitor input filter is an RC filter but the R part is very small, written as rC or rCC in my previous posts where Members have not realised they have implemented an RC filter.

Find a Power Thermistor that has significant energy absorption and can tolerate a starting voltage differential of 460Vpk. There will be some.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.