Question regarding DC stepup

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Im a little confused with this, i have a step up board that is converting 5 volts to 12 volts,

Heres the problem,

The amp cuts out at high volume with this setup yet if i give it a direct 12volt supply it is fine..

Now am i correct in thinking its something to do with ampage and thats why the stepup wont work? or am i missing something else?:p

Joined 2011
current limiting or folding back? can i change the Capacitors to accommodate this on the Boost board that i have?

A DC/DC converter has to be able to supply the peak current demands of the load at the maximum voltage output of the amplifier.
The current limit setting is part of the electrical/thermal design of the converter, and is not likely to be able to be increased safely.
Make sure that the input to the DC/DC converter is not sagging below the converter's minimum rated input.

If datasheet unavailable, estimate the cell is able to output as much current as its capacity minus away the "hour" e.g. a 2000mAh cell can safely output 2000mA and for one hour (i.e. a 1C discharge rate). Values in reality can be half or double of this estimate.

And don't forget the 3.7V to 5V step-up converter. If it came from a USB powerbank it would be 1A of 5V output, at best 2A... again depending on the powerbank

Last edited:
its just a li-poly battery setup that provides 5volts i am unsure what the current is.

Just happen to have alot of li-poly batteries about that id like to use and recharge them via usb :)
if it's a lithium based battery supply then it is probably a 3.7Vdc supply that is boosted to 5V (plus losses).
Then you are boosting that 5V to 12V (plus losses).
I don't think you are barking up the right tree.

Start with a bank of batteries that gives you 12Vdc directly.

I did think about doing that but ive no idea how i would then charge them
Easy.
Charge 3 or 4 of them in parallel from USB supply, then connect them in series to feed your amplifier .

I do that all the time: I made a pocket headphone amp/booster so I can hear music while using the bandsaw, circular saw, router, etc. and smartphone output is simply not enough to cope with high ambient noise level, which is fed from 2 "cordless phone battery packs" giving me 3.6V each.
I charge them in parallel from USB, then put them in series to give me split rails.
Works like a charm.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.