Additional diode after bridge rectifier?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The application is DC LED power supply for motorcycles with an AC electrical system.

I came across this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qHJFvjwkI4
which presents the attached diagram.

My question is about the single forward-biased diode after the bridge rectifier positive terminal. At first blush, I though perhaps the author didn't understand what a bridge was, as of course there are 2 forward-biased diodes attached to that positive terminal in the bridge rectifier.

Then I thought perhaps there was some merit I could not see because of this specific application. The fact that only of 1 of the 2 forward-biased diodes inside the bridge conducts on each half of the AC wave, perhaps significant when driven by a stator? The fact that the AC input voltage is continuously fluctuating with RPM?

What's the verdict, yay or nay?

Attachments

• motorcycle ac dc.jpg
    motorcycle ac dc.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 272

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> He doesn't understand how...

+1.

I don't even know what it means "drain back". Maybe he is confused with a battery charger. Even so the bridge would do it.

I did the same on a cheap snowblower, had a glove-box lamp as a "head light". Got a hot ATV light off Amazon, got a Bridge from Radio Shack (my last trip before they folded). I didn't even bother with the cap. It flickers, but that don't bother me when blowing, and does alert the oncoming cars "something strange here!"

Maybe he had in mind the DC dynamos in very old vehicles which indeed required something that isolates the battery from the dynamo when the engine was operating at too low rpm or not operasting at all. Contemporarily this was done by a relay inside the governor, but might as well have been power diodes if these were available about 50 years ago. Besides this, the diode in the depicted application might separate the anti-flicker cap from the load presented by the vehicle's electrical system.

Best regards!

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Maybe he had in mind the DC dynamos in very old vehicles which indeed required something that isolates the battery from the dynamo when the engine was operating at too low rpm or not operasting at all.

But that is already done with the diodes in the bridge, so here that diode is useless.

Besides this, the diode in the depicted application might separate the anti-flicker cap from the load presented by the vehicle's electrical system.

But for that the diode is in the wrong position, so here that diode is useless.

Jan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.