Mains filter: John Risch

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Switching the protective earth out is positively dangerous!
What a load of rubbish, the "burn in" time on an extra load.
Most audio equipment that conforms to modern standards has enough filtering in the power supply not to require loads of chokes and capacitors that will make a PAT test fail.
I do not recommend this filter by AC filter by Lukasz F. at all. There is no requirement for filters.

The Lampizator filter contains several errors - including the silly idea that a mains filter needs burning in.

C1 must be X-rated.
C2 and C3 (referred to as C3 and C4 in the text) must be Y-rated.
His chokes are probably too low in inductance to stop anything part from some RF noise.
The ground switch and inductor L4 must be omitted - just use a thick wire.
Include a fuse before C1 - even X-caps can sometimes fail.

Better still, if you need a mains filter why not buy one which has been designed and built by a real engineer to do a real job?

In a way but part to blame are the students too. Lol
Think a balance line xformer would do a much better
job especially for light loaded equipment. This is my
next thing to try. Not sure if it would help cause
my audio main lines are separately runned individually
straight from the breaker box & the earth wire is directly
connected to a 3 meter copper rod thats buried into the
ground.

Cheers

. . . . . . . . . .
Not sure if it would help cause
my audio main lines are separately runned individually
straight from the breaker box & the earth wire is directly
connected to a 3 meter copper rod thats buried into the
ground.
Cheers
That's dangerous!!!!
The Protective Earth/Safety Ground should be connected to the Neutral at/near the main breaker panel.
If a connection to Planet Earth is required, then it too should be connected to the Neutral at/near the main breaker panel.

In Greece, PE is the copper rod to the ground. Mains distributor provides only two wires; live and neutral. The standard test for mains safety relay is to shortcircuit PE to neutral. I guess that makes the ground line coil such as in Lampizator's filter at least meaningless and probably harmful. But in countries where PE comes from distributor network it may have a meaning. Some commersial IEC build in filters include a coil like that. It was in one of J. Broskie's articles I was reading he is fond of them.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
It depends on country and sometimes even per city how earthing/PE is done. Earthing/PE is one of the most misunderstood items so please let's call the systems by their real names. You can see TT/IT/TN/TN-C/TN-S/TN-C-S earthing systems here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earthing_system

To be honest this all is a study on itself and you can see in the table which system is safest. Still the system in your area may be different/less safe and it may have (more important) different requirements. Often assumptions are made based on experiences with 1 system but always be careful and try to see the whole picture.

In the filter schematic there is a switch in PE. This is absolutely forbidden and very unsafe. This schematic should be banned.

Last edited:
If people stopped thinking of Earth as something dirty that corrupted their audio pleasure or as a big sponge to suck up the slime that emanated from our filthy habits, none of this nonsense would be an issue. It is used here to lower the chances of killing ourselves, no more, no less.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.