Spec'ing current reqs on trafo secondaries

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So, I've been ignoring the fact that the smoothing caps are parallel with the circuit, so lifting the 2nd cap's positive leg doesn't cut the circuit. Doh! I don't see any way to cut the circuit after the smoothing caps, because the traces branch immediately to 3 different places.

No, everything is on one pcb. The traces spur off 3 ways on traces:
- to the microprocessor and support for the remote
- to the IR receiver
- to 2 relays between balanced and regular out circuits.

Being a two layer board, I'm not sure how photos would do it justice. But here is a quick and dirty drawing, all lines are continuous traces on one pcb.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

............ I measure AC voltage drop across the resistor and get only 12mV, .............
that is telling you there is a variation in the current flowing through the 1r0 resistor.
The biggest variation is possibly mains ripple voltage.
If the variation is a pure sinewave of single frequency, then you know you have a 12mAac current flowing. That would be read on a scope as ~34mVpp.
If the variation were random noise, the scope would show roughly double that ~60mVpp, but the pulses between the individual spikes would be relatively far apart.
The actual AC will be a mixture of sinewaves and half waves of lots of frequencies and noise, so you could end up with anywhere from 30mVpp to 60mVpp.
That AC current is superimposed on the constant DC current.
The mVdc reads the average DC current.
The mVac reads the average AC current.

Last edited:
Any DC power source 9V to 12V able to supply the required current would suffice for your measurement. Connect it to the AC input terminals on the PCB, it doesn't matter which way round, the bridge rectifier on board will direct the positive and negative to the right place.

Now that's a practical idea! First with ammeter, then calculate from with resistor voltage drop.

Ammeter: 123mA DC on idle, 158mA DC during volume motor use.
Resistor 4R7: 123mA on idle, 170mA DC during motor use.

So that's not too far off of the AC ammeter readings earlier in the thread (140mA & 180mA).

Here is another practical idea! Since my new transformer is bespoke, I could easily get 17VA or even 20VA and would have guaranteed at least the same current as the original 15VA trafo. I may do that anyway.

Thank you for all your help and ideas, bearing with me!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.