Mains power: how to recreate a phase?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For many years now the voltages are changed.We had 220V and the UK 240V ,then along came Euromadness, now everyboddy is supposed to get 230V..............
That is not what happened.

We now have the "harmonised" mains supply system.
That requires the manufacturers of mains equipment to be sold in the EU to operate correctly and safely with any voltage within the range of the harmonised supply, i.e. from 216Vac to 253Vac.

The supply voltage on the mains wiring has not changed.

The European Mainland still operates @ 220Vac +- a tolerance
The UK still operates @ 240Vac +- a tolerance.

However, there is a small gain in efficiency for the electricity suplliers, if they reduce the current and increase the voltage of transmission.
That small increase in efficiency is extra profit for the power generators/transmitters.
Thus there is a tendency to increase the voltage of the mains supply.
The UK regularly operates around the 245Vac.
I hear from out North American Members that they are seeing 115 to 125Vac on their house supplies.

Last edited:
That is not what happened.

We now have the "harmonised" mains supply system.
That requires the manufacturers of mains equipment to be sold in the EU to operate correctly and safely with any voltage within the range of the harmonised supply, i.e. from 216Vac to 253Vac.

The supply voltage on the mains wiring has not changed.

The European Mainland still operates @ 220Vac +- a tolerance
The UK still operates @ 240Vac +- a tolerance.

However, there is a small gain in efficiency for the electricity suplliers, if they reduce the current and increase the voltage of transmission.
That small increase in efficiency is extra profit for the power generators/transmitters.
Thus there is a tendency to increase the voltage of the mains supply.
The UK regularly operates around the 245Vac.
I hear from out North American Members that they are seeing 115 to 125Vac on their house supplies.
Have a look here,
Complete list: Plug, socket & voltage by country - World Standards
Mona

The 230Vac stated for UK is the "harmonised voltage" agreed for the EU.
That is the nominal voltage that applies to all the electicity generators and all the equipment manufacturers must adhere to.

But the range of voltage is still 216Vac to 253Vac
The UK is still on a nominal 240Vac. The UK did not change all their generators nor all their transformers.
It the same for the European Mainland, they still operate at a nominal 220Vac and they too did not change all their generating equipment and transformers.

The 230Vac stated for UK is the "harmonised voltage" agreed for the EU.
That is the nominal voltage that applies to all the electicity generators and all the equipment manufacturers must adhere to.

But the range of voltage is still 216Vac to 253Vac
The UK is still on a nominal 240Vac. The UK did not change all their generators nor all their transformers.
It the same for the European Mainland, they still operate at a nominal 220Vac and they too did not change all their generating equipment and transformers.

In Holland, the voltage has gone up. Where you would measure 220-224V it is now above 330V.

Rookie thread I told you ;-)
I try to understand...
I've only three wires coming from the street (first pic)
And then the three goes in a black box and then 4 wires come out to electric board.
So three phases and a neutral I guess as earth is separated....

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> he has DELTA type connection as pointed earlier by Elvee

Agree. Worked out from notes and pictures.

He has three legs of a wYe, apparently two live wires and the neutral/earth.

The colors are not according to current EU practice. I can't figure what older standard they may come from.

As Belgium is 220V-240V, the 127V sides are of no use.

The 220V across the two hot should be fine power.

There is a slight benefit in the nearly "balanced" power.

There is a residual environmental potential because the mid-point of the two legs is not the same as "ground". However it is much smaller than the 60V mid-potential in all US work.

I have no idea why transformers hum.

Attachments

• naca5.gif
    naca5.gif
    52.8 KB · Views: 115
live measurements:
P/N:220v
P/E:127
N/E:127

That is absolutely correct for a three phase system. There is 120 degrees between each phase. 1/sin(120) x 110 = 127.

What is a bit more bothersome is that a transformer rated for 240 volts at 60 Hz should be fine at 200 Volts at 50 Hz. Not so even at 220 volts. However if it is rated for 220 volts at 60 Hz it will start saturating at 183 volts.

As your transformer is seeing 220 volts from what appears to be a proper service the issue is most likely one of how the transformer is rated.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.