220V to 110V Stepdown Transformer. Can it be reversed ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
don't try this at home, but think through this scenario:

pick a 110/120Vac transformer. find what inductance the primary presents to the mains drive voltage.
Now double the drive voltage. what is the new inductance @ the higher primary voltage?
I'll just pluck a couple of numbers out of the ether.
15H at 115Vac and 10H at 230Vac.
Yes, the inductance goes down as the current increases, it's called saturation.
The power dissipated in the primary winding has gone up six fold.
Do you think that will affect the operating temperature of the core, or the windings?

Last edited:
don't try this at home, but think through this scenario:

pick a 110/120Vac transformer. find what inductance the primary presents to the mains drive voltage.
Now double the drive voltage. what is the new inductance @ the higher primary voltage?
I'll just pluck a couple of numbers out of the ether.
15H at 115Vac and 10H at 230Vac.
Yes, the inductance goes down as the current increases, it's called saturation.
The power dissipated in the primary winding has gone up six fold.
Do you think that will affect the operating temperature of the core, or the windings?

The windings as I've seen this before when I made my first transformer. The insulation melted and shorted the whole thing. Took it apart and cleaned the bobbin. Rewound it after getting the figures right. That was +30 years ago but the spinefeeling urged me to check this before I try anything.

Well - le monstre...

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Thanks and Regards all. Shame on me for stealing the thread...

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.