LT3042 universal PSU PCB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Since a few years I'm using "deadbugstyle" to build my devices. Not very beautiful - looks like a birdnest. For wiring I used thin copper strands from litzwire or coppertape insulated with kaptontape.
Heh, that's pretty hardcore with these devices. :D
is Farnell providing parts to hobbyists again? A few years ago they told me that I have to order it from an official distribution shop https://hbe-shop.de/. But the shop has only a restricted range of parts - usually this is the reason why you want to order parts at farnell, mouser etc...I was very disappointed by their politics so that I ve never ordered parts.
You're right, in the Netherlands you would have to order through the sinuss.nl partner site. They do offer the LT3042 though.
dont know how much LT charges for the order but maybe it would be cheaper to order directly from LT lt3042 around $3.22 ...sure without duty, tax etc.
Yeah, a lot of added costs that way. I usually order from Mouser, but for some reason they don't offer any Linear parts. :down:

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Here a LT3042 costs 5 Euro. The board in post #1 had a few serious shortcomings (too small holes) and I ended up throwing them in the bin. I thought of my own design but at these prices it is not worthwhile designing a board.

This board has a good price/quality ratio and it can deliver 1A but it is not short circuit proof. Diodes are unmarked. This board is useful when you are prepared to replace some parts. I don't like unmarked diodes and I am not sure the filter cap is original. Let's say that 5 Euro to make it according to wishes make it still a good buy.

Low-Noise LT3042 Linear Regulator Power Supply Board DC Converter Overvoltage | eBay

Last edited:
The board doesn’t come with the Nichicon KG capacitor however, bait and switch deal there.
Mine came with a Nover capacitor, which I think I saw somewhere measured as having around half the current rating that you might expect.

Last edited:
Here a LT3042 costs 5 Euro. The board in post #1 had a few serious shortcomings (too small holes) and I ended up throwing them in the bin. I thought of my own design but at these prices it is not worthwhile designing a board.....

Low-Noise LT3042 Linear Regulator Power Supply Board DC Converter Overvoltage | eBay

@Jean-Paul - I bought this months ago. The description says output is 0-15Vdc. Would you know how to adjust the output from the default voltage which 5Vdc? Thanks

Still works fine with a very low load. Volts are fine, no useable amperage...
I don’t recall any time where I may have shorted both of the outputs either. Is a dual output board.

As for adjusting the output, there are resistor values that can be changed, are on pads on the boards labeled r1, or r2 depending on what the assembler used. The values are in the lt3042 data sheet.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Still works fine with a very low load. Volts are fine, no useable amperage...
I don’t recall any time where I may have shorted both of the outputs either. Is a dual output board.

Hello did you checked that 10Ohms resistor i spotted on the joined picture.

I use some of these regulators and it works great but !!! the 1st batch I get were made with a wrong value, 4.7Ohms instead of 10Ohms.
Voltage drop through it is to low to ensure PNP plays it ballast role.
As stated in LT AppNotes, PSSR is pretty High compare to LT3042 alone but it works good though.

Attachments

• ChineseLT3042.jpg
    ChineseLT3042.jpg
    659.3 KB · Views: 545
I have been doing some simulations with the LT3042.

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pow...42-3045-ltspice-simulation-3.html#post6000367

One thing that seems to improve PSRR a lot is using a CRC filter at the input, after the diodes.

Pity some of those larger supplies, which already carry diode bridge and input filter capacitor make that change difficult.

Replacing the large capacitor with smaller ones, say two 2200uF and one 10 ohm resistor, instead of one 5600uF, results in a much flatter PSRR curve.

The LT3045 doesn’t like running over about 60% with noise appearing.
The LT application sheet shows how to tie multiple 3045s in parallel to increase current delivery. It also starts kicking out the heat to the PCB so some cooling or cooking needed :)

Image seen a prebuilt 2.5A max rated board with 6 for almost €200. One of the HK prebuilt board says 3 but the small print says 1 but can be expanded by you soldering (including the pcb cooling pad on the underside).

Would be interested in a design for a R2R headphone dac - possibly using multiple supplies; would a Single AC-DC Soft start feeding 3045 DC-DC Supplies work?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.