Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Best 5V SMPS ?
Best 5V SMPS ?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th May 2018, 12:10 PM   #221
cdsgames is offline cdsgames  Canada
diyAudio Member

Nigel , I have a doubt about those C across diodes..since this is AC , we have to use X rated caps ?
Old 29th May 2018, 10:04 AM   #222
nigel pearson is offline nigel pearson  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I think class Y2 ceramic could be a good choice. As best I understand a Y2 is 2 x class X2 in series allowed for use between live ( hot/line ) to ground having UL and CB status ( CB is a universal rating which converts to JIS etc ). They are very high grade and cheap. 470 pF to 10 nF are typical values. Silver ceramic is often stated. I suspect they could have good audio qualities as do class X2. What makes a capacitor safer can make it sound better.

All the same, soft recovery diodes do a really good job without additions.

I am sure someone has said an AM radio will show diode noise. That could be tested with a simple load so as not to introduce SMPS noise into the story. It could be said why bother with the diodes when other factors are dominant. Simple, we make good whatever we can.

I do remember years ago Rotel sent me 4 x 10 nF to fit to a RA820 rectifier to help the Rotel AM tuner work ( AM/FM manual tune type RT830?). It was totally sucessful. Before it was like the stations were far away under hiss. It's hard to say if there was undetected noise the amplifier would weave into it's sound. Many say 1 x 10 nF to the AC input to the rectifier would have been better.
Old 1st June 2018, 11:43 AM   #223
diyAudio Member

Some major advancing..

This is our new Active Noise Filter in action . The guys that designed it are real , bona fide , geniuses .

This is taken at 1A (first try). I expect a small improvement after some tweaking.

About 0.9uV (900nV) from 0-20Khz....
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ANF B.pdf (97.5 KB, 110 views)

Last edited by cdsgames; 1st June 2018 at 11:46 AM.
Old 2nd June 2018, 07:41 AM   #224
diyAudio Member

That's very good. What does the above 20 kHz look like? And the ripple ( 1Hz to 500 Hz perhaps ).
Old 3rd June 2018, 08:15 AM   #225
diyAudio Member

We are testing using spectrum analyzer..however the precision is not quite the same.

Ripple and noise in included in the above graphic ...you can see the ripple at 50Hz (less than 100nv).

As far as switching frequency that happens at 40Khz-80Khz (depending on load) and before the Active Noise filter we have at it 900uV..

Active noise filter has a realistic psrr of 40db (40- 100Khz) ...
Old 3rd June 2018, 10:26 AM   #226
diyAudio Member

Your are very lucky to get that and well done. It means troubles you have must be mostly differential mode ???? That 20 kHz peak, any thoughts? I suspect it would be much broader if unfiltered. I haven't read every part so forgive.
Old 3rd June 2018, 02:57 PM   #227
chris14 is offline chris14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdsgames View Post
Some major advancing..

This is our new Active Noise Filter in action . The guys that designed it are real , bona fide , geniuses .

This is taken at 1A (first try). I expect a small improvement after some tweaking.

About 0.9uV (900nV) from 0-20Khz....
Looks good, how close are you to finalizing and sending to production?
Old 4th June 2018, 02:38 PM   #228
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel pearson View Post
Your are very lucky to get that and well done. It means troubles you have must be mostly differential mode ???? That 20 kHz peak, any thoughts? I suspect it would be much broader if unfiltered. I haven't read every part so forgive.

20Khz peak is a artifact of AP machine (0-20Khz) in fact its lower than 1uV
Old 4th June 2018, 02:40 PM   #229
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris14 View Post
Looks good, how close are you to finalizing and sending to production?

We will advise once we are closer to finalizing . but from a technical point of view we solved all problems

Still testing has to be done with 110V , more test data with 1Mhz and 20Mhz , then FCC/UL testing.
Old 8th June 2018, 05:45 PM   #230
chris14 is offline chris14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdsgames View Post
We will advise once we are closer to finalizing . but from a technical point of view we solved all problems

Still testing has to be done with 110V , more test data with 1Mhz and 20Mhz , then FCC/UL testing.
Looking forward to getting one from the first production run to test out on my system. I'm currently using an iFi ipower with a shunt to ground(on the same duplex outlet) which performs better than a standard smps. I have always been wary about the cheap linear psu's on eBay/aliexpress and there is no reason that a SMPS cannot provide clean power if properly engineered.

Best 5V SMPS ?Hide this!Advertise here!