small power transformer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I use close rated fusing.
Judging by the comments seen on this Forum, I am one of a few.
The majority don't seem to know what close rated fusing is.
And don't know why it is safer.

A few problems with that.

1/ Its of no use to an appliance with anything other than relatively constant current draw, and also no use with anything capable of drawing significant inrush current.

2/ Using close rated fusing retrospectively would mean modifying the equipment by including perhaps soft start circuitry.

3/ Equipment so modified (i.e. shorting the thermal fuse, fitting close rated fusing and including soft start) wouldn't be viewed sympathetically in the event of an insurance claim for fire.

The risks and problems have to be pointed out, and then it is up to an individual what course of action they take.

Regarding the questions of
Was it a moment of abuse?
Was it prolonged abuse?
What kind of prolonged abuse could have been imposed such that the Thermal Fuse opened?
I was given this amp by a person who was about to trash it. So,,,, my only answer to the reason for failure is "I have no clue". Based on the opinions posted, I think I should replace the fuse. While I wait for a new one to arrive, I will run the amp for a longer period of time and check for heat and performance. Thanks again for your responses.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi oldcardave,
You are making the right decision.

New transformers that are safety rates (UL in the 'States, or ULC that covers Canada as well) have got those thermal fuses installed inside. So no worries about new transformers being dangerous, they aren't. Enjoy your "new" amplifier!

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Andrew,
That thermal fuse is a critical safety feature and may not be disabled by shorting it out. Any insurance coverage for a building can be null and void if they determine the fire was due to equipment where this safety feature has been circumvented. The authorities may go after the person who completed this unsafe "repair". Some distributors do have these fuses for replacement use in their power transformers. Nakamichi was one for a period of time. It was nice to have a less expensive solution for a customer.

Anyway, thermal fuses are a critical safety component that must be either replaced with the same rated part and in the same location, or the entire transformer should be replaced. I have replaced many transformers over the years.

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.